On the SS fence: Jr. Jet vs Squier Mustang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H-S, Feb 1, 2019.

1. H-S

H-S

Feb 1, 2019
    I know a couple people have posted about this before, but it seems like a not-uncommon quandary. My case is also a little weird because I'm a pretty crummy bass player and have specific situation, in that I generally play with a pick and my main issues are price and versatility.
    I actually found a used original single-pup Jr. Jet for $200 but just returned it because the E string tone was so loose (if that's the right word) compared to the A string. On some of our songs, I need more consistency going back and forth, although on others I like to be able to get that round bottom on the E string. I played a Fender Mustang (out of my price range) at the store and really liked being able to switch between the bridge pup (more tonal consistency on E and A) and the neck (rounder bottom on the E) and was wondering if the newer Gretsches with two pups would be able to give me a similar range.
    Basically, between my returned old single-pup Gretsch and the Fender Mustang, the sound of the Mustang for my purposes blew the Gretsch away. But I really like the look and heft of the Gretsch, and suspect I'll have more issues with neck dive on the Mustang. So I was wondering if y'all think the 2-pup Gretsch will address my issue, or if I should suck up the fact that the Mustang doesn't look as cool and go with that. Our sound is all over the map, and it felt like the Mustang gave me a lot more versatility than the single-pup Gretsch.
    Sorry for rambling. I just feel like a lot of the posters on TB are way more sophisticated than I am, and get into issues that are above my head. I just need a bass I can strap on for my band's shows and get decent sound across the board.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Have a look at the Ibanez TMB30.

3. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    The Fender Mustang is not the same as the Squier Mustang (as in your title).
    The Fender has two pickups - a P and a J, and the Squier has a single Mustang pickup and has been discontinued for several years.

If you want a short scale, dual pickup bass, do a search here for that. There are lots of threads about short scales.
    For a budget short scale, dual pickup bass, I like the Squier Jaguar SS, but there are several others that are good and won't break the bank.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021