On the subject of bass shopping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HWK2, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Fender Precision

17 vote(s)
  2. Fender Jazz

35 vote(s)
  3. Rickenbacker 4001/4003

13 vote(s)
  1. Well, I'd like to start off by saying god bless summer jobs :) because with one, I can finnaly say that I *DO* have the money to buy a *nice* bass. I've owned 3 in the 2 years I've played bass, my first was a Squire Precision that had everything in the world wrong with it, so I took it apart and learned everything I could about it, put it back together after redoing the whole damn thing, and sold it. I got a Kramer as a gift because I had mentioned liking it, I played that for a long time, but it just sounded more like a guitar then a bass :( so I spent $50 on a Jazz Bass copy, built in 1979 by a company named Matao. I bought some EMG's to put in it, the old pickups were rusted and nasty sounding :( and I shielded the control cavity (why it was not done in the first place I don't know, too old?) so it no longer hums like mad, and I still play that, and its a great back up bass, but I can tell its turning 21 and it was a bargain bass in '79. The laminant is splitting down the top side of the upper horn, and the neck is chipped to hell, and the body is cracking down the center, under the pickguard.. Hmm so basicly, I am looking to spend in the 500-1000 dollar range on a NICE bass, my first *tear* NICE bass. I love Rickenbacher Bass's.. I think I just like Chris Squire and Geddy Lee too much.. anyway.. I've played one, and I found a 4001 for $750 at a music shop where I live, but I also am a huge fan of the Fender Jazz bass, which I am sure I could find in my price range.. of course, the Preicisions I've played sound pretty damn good, but they don't feel right to me.. call me crazy :) anyway, so this is my poll, after about a page of my history.. Which would any of you buy? The Jazz sounds great to my ear, the Rickenbacker is just to sexy looking and the neck feels great with a good sound, and the precision sounds pretty damn good, but I just don't like the feel of the bulkier neck.. ?? I know, I am the kind of bassist everyone wants to smack :) My guitar playing friend laughs at me all the time, he says I want too many basses :)
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hard to say - using the terms Fender Precision and Fender Jazz is almost like using the words, auto and car. There's so many different ones available.

If you're talking about a basic American Jazz and Precision, I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Both can get you gigs for rock, pop, R&B, blues, metal, country, just about anything. The Jazz though, does lend itself far better to jazz, and not just because of the name. The Precision will outpunk the Jazz anyday.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Rick. But, it has such a characteristic sound that to have it as my sole bass is kind of limiting, unless something like rock or pop was all I played. It has the big, gutsy, lows and the ringing highs, but lacks the warm mids for the blues, jazz, R&B, ska, soul, IMO.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    rickbass1, that's good advice.
    HWK2, I own several fenders and owned a Rick until it was stolen (along with two other Precisions). Going by my experience, this is what I would do: I would get the Jazz now and the Rick later (since you sound as though you really want one).
  4. Depends on what you are playing, or planning to play. Like Rickbass said the rick 4001 probably isn't as versitile as either fender, but if you don't need versitility i'd say go with the rick 4001. if you don't want more versitile sound i've always been a jazz type bass fan more, like you mainly because of the feel of it(especially the neck) however i always feel the urge to let people know that there are other basses besides fenders too, though i know you know that in your desire for the rick, but look around at G&L L-2000 if you like versitility, they are still Leo Fender designed, or theres the SB-2, you can get one of those (P pickup and a J at the bridge) for a good price from www.bassnw.com (special sale so i can't say the price) and the neck is more a J-type neck. keep your options open, i loved fenders, then i realized there were lots of other quality basses out there that weren't as heavy and uncomfortable as full oak trees
  5. Hard Poll to Answer.

I was in 2 minds between a Jazz and a Precision recently - in the end I brought a HotRod.

Hotrod: Precision Bass with Jazz Neck, Standard P Pickup and a J Bridge Pickup.

Gorgeous Bass. The Jazz Neck is Nice Touch.

That said of course I think my next bass will definately be a Rick. :)
  6. I do have to agree with Crested Radish, the P/J combo of the HotRod is nice, plus I like the Jazz Neck (thats just personal preference).... also the Transparent Orange looks nice :)
  7. Well, as far as weight goes this Japaneses rip off Jazz bass I play now probably weighs in at around 20 or so pounds. I think the body is solid pine, or maybe it has lead inside.. maybe uranium I'm not sure, but I don't think I will ever find another bass heavier then this, and I never found Fenders to be that heavy. I am thinking that I agree with the poll this far that a Fender Jazz is the way to go.. I keep opening up BP magazine and seeing that red jazz bass with maple neck... Mmmm maple fretboard... *drools* :) I think I like that one in sunburst.. *drools* Mmm sunburst.. But I am always reminded of how much I want to play a rick bass... and forgetting the fact that I prefer to play all kinds of music, I would probably buy one.

I may just have to complete the Jaco set (even though I am far to inept to play jazz really... its sad.. :( and grab a Jazz bass to go with my Accoustic 301 bottom/370 head...

Hmm that Hot Rod P/J set up sounds pretty good too.. blasted choices all the time :)
  8. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Crazy, I'm stuck between those 3 basses too.
  9. Well atleast I know my taste is good :)
  10. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    I voted for the Jazz......
    Umm......I've played a couple of fenders (don't exactly know if they were P or Jazz, I've probably played both) and they all sounded the same to me. But then, I haven't exactly been to Mars in a long time, so I didn't really know of the difference in these fender basses. After reading this thread, I think I might look into Fender as a backup bass if I can find one. Probably a fender jazz cuz I would like to start gettin' into more of a groove with my playin'.
    Anyway, I know that didn't help you at all, but I say go for the jazz if you're into groovey playin. Since you like the Rick sooo much, get that a lil' later when you're all nice and more skilled then you already are ;), so then you can show off your skills and your bass! :D
  11. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    20lbs for a 4 string Jazz Bass.. how can that happen.. even my 5 string warwick streamer stage 1(basically all maple) is ~12lbs.. even John Turner's double neck is 27lbs around there...... so I odn't think your bass is no where near 20lbs.. probably at 11 or so at max. I had a Moses Jazz, which was a Jazz copy with graphite neck, northern ash wood... it wasl ike 12lbs.. killed my shoulders.. my shoulders turned RED after playing that bass.. but that was around 11 or 12.

12. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    My peavey t40 is at least 15 lbs, so I think a near 20 lbs bass is possible. Those with t40's can testify with me that that bass is freakin' heavy!!!
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i was in your same mood a couple of years ago. and if you manage to go on plating bass, like i did, i'm afraid that you'll buy all the three bass in some order. i bought the rick first because in my mind that was THE tone i'd like to have. i still have and play a lot my mapleglo 4001. then i bought a cheap but not so bad old jazz clone bass. and in the next future i'll point a p bass. my point of view is the following: the jazz is the most versatile, the p the most bottom end bass and the rick has the most rich tone in mids and highs. and you can find a good old rick easier and cheaper than a good old fender, this is due to the massive production of fender that created a not so easy to know amount of different situation (woods, versions...) that do not let me know well if that was a good fender or not. a rick is a rick the year doesn't matter.
    good luck
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, I had a T-40, and it had to weigh at least 15 lbs. I think that the body on those is made of northern ash, and they also have a pretty large body.

The only bass that I owned that was heavier than that was an early 70's sunburst Memphis P bass copy. It weighed at least 5 lbs more than the Peavey.
  15. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    When I got my Jazz,I wanted playability.I didn't know about tone.I should had been warned by the guy I got it from,I asked him why he was getting rid of it.He said it was too "topped out".After comparing it to other basses,I spent years trying to get deeper tone out of it.Actually,in a band,it has a very good tone,especially for rock.But I like the sound of a Precision better,so I finally got one.And I'm dealing with the playability just fine.
    So if you get the Jazz,one thing to look for is the wood.Mine has a maple fretboard with an ash body.Thats the brightest combination Fender makes.My P bass is alder with a rosewood fretboard,still very punchy,but much more depth.
    Listen to,and play a lot of basses before laying down your loot.
  16. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Go first class, get a Rickenbacker.
  17. lol I am starting to agree with Nanook, that and I cannot stop laughing at that animation he's got under his name.. lol I know simple pleasures for simple people, but that is just hilarious.. *cough* yes, anyway back to serious stuff. I am liking the Rick because it is a rick. I love Jazz bass's though.. but I own one, albeit one that is near the end of its ropes, but its a fixer upper, which I can do based on my years upon years of woodshop skills. So am thinking, I can find a rick for 750 which is pretty damn good, and it is playable out its ears.. nice thin neck. I am not the best at being able to pick out great mids/highs/lows but I can say that I was never able to find good mids on a p-bass and that is more what I play.. deep rich mids, nothing sounds better in my humble opinion. Now, if the Rick has great lows and (people are saying ddiffering things) good mids, then I think I will be happy.. I am loving all this feedback though.

I am going to weigh my jazz bass and tell you all what it weighs, but I swear the body is solid cement. Anyway, I'll keep you posted, thanks for all the replies!
  18. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hate to tell all you HotRod P bass guys but.....that is not a Jazz neck. It is a B neck, 1.625" at the nut, same as on the new P basses. The profile may indeed be different. Jazzes are 1.5" wide at the nut.

HWK2, you may want to consider a Geddy Lee Jazz as well.

That should add to your indecision. :D
  19. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Or perhaps new American Deluxe P, the one with humbucker on bridge.
  20. The new Am. Deluxe Ps are really nice. I played on one eairler (with a maple fretboard) and I LOVED it!