Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

?? on Theory and structure

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GTi Giant, Jun 20, 2001.

1. GTi Giant

GTi Giant

Jun 20, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    New to this, (second post here), and I have a couple of questions. While I listen to a great variety of music, I have been focusing in here recently on that which has greater structure. I guess I am trying to train my mind to "hear" and "think" better. Although I have learned some songs from friends and via <flame suit on> TAB <flame suit off>, what I really want to know is how it all goes together. I don't really have any friends that play bass, that is one of the reasons I decided to pick it up. Most are accomplished in other instruments, but don't really provide me with the basis I would like. I have no problems learning from a book, although I know a real living breathing human is preferred (low cash flow though). Where can I learn the theory and structure behind the music itself? I want to know how it all goes together, the math behind it all I guess. Sorry for the long post, but thanx for all the help in advance.

-Jake

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There are many ways to learn theory. Check into classes at a local school (grammar school, high school, junior college). (I would recommend something better, but I don't know your age, please fill in your profile). Junior College classes are usually much cheaper than teachers.

Teachers may be expensive, but if you are serious about learning and growing on your instrument, than their worth is far less than the check you'd write every month. Teachers can help you grow and develop so much quicker than other resources. Also, don't rule out teachers for other instruments, especially piano. You may not want to learn piano, but a good piano teacher is usually cheaper, and theory is theory, it doesn't matter the instrument.

So what are the other resources. Well there's here of course, then other websites include www.libster.com, www.activebass.com. Search other threads for a more comprehensive list. I also try and get lots of plugs in for this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13089

Pick up some theory and sight reading books. Put the tabs down. Now. Don't look at them again. Tabs can greatly hinder your ability to grow (I know I'll get flamed for saying that). Learn to sight read. There's lots of good books out there to help you. Check out a local music store, and they should have some books that can help.

3. GTi Giant

GTi Giant

Jun 20, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    Thanx for the rapid reply. I now tabs are bad, but the ability to learn what the note sounds like has been addictive. I have been converting a lot of the songs that I have in tab to notes (the letters not scale right now) to better help me learn the note and to "hear" the music better.

I reviewed and just printed off the thread that you linked above. Looks like I may be picking up some reading for tonight. I already learned the basis for the scale (WWHWWWH) from a friend, but I am still working on the visualization of it.

I know this may be a real stupid question, but I am a newbie after all. :) <flame suit on> What is the bass scale for notation (i.e. treble is efgabcdef)? <flame suit off>.

Thanx again

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Think of the bass scale as a lower extension (with one ledge line for middle C) of the treble clef.

[​IMG]

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

So you're suggesting he get an OVERPRICED teacher?

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Whoa did I miss type that. I mean to say that a teacher is worth far more in knowledge and experience than what we usually pay to them.

Oops!