Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

On volume....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Regurgitator, Nov 8, 2000.

1. Regurgitator

Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    Hey guys, my guitar player/singer posted on a audio engineering board (live-audio.com) and those guys are giving him endless crap about us being "too loud" and saying we should use little combo amps. They have never even heard us!! It is absurd!! I have a GK400RB running to a EV410 and a SWR Big Ben 18" and if you read my post about Mesa amps you know I am upgrading to a Mesa 400+ head and a Mesa 410. I plan to sell the SWR 18 and the GK400RB. Aside from sounding like crap, the GK head can barely power the cabs, even when running just the EV(which is pretty efficient). I can hardly hear the bass at all. The guitar player is running a Peavey half stack at about 4-5 volume which isn't all that loud. So these guys at the other board are telling us that we should use combo practice amps for rehearsal and if they aren't loud enough then we are playing too loud. What a bunch of doofi. They think we play through bigger amps because we think "it makes us cool" - how stupid is this? Can you guys back me on this? We are a HEAVY Deftones,Soulfly,Tool style band and they suggest practice combos? whatever.....I just had to vent a little. Sometimes the audio engineer side of this business can be annoying. They went so far as to tell me that some national acts they have seen plug direct into the board with no amps at all, well duh! But I guarantee you that they aren't heavy hardcore acts are they? What do you guys make of all this?

2. Well since we also play LOUD, but not metal, I must say that we cant turn down cause our drummer is loud when he needs to be. AND drums sound good when played hard. We all wear plug so we dont have a problem with this, the only one with a problem is our singer, she also wears plugs and sometimes has got a hard time hearing herself through the PA. She can hear herself in her head though, you know how I mean..

Dont waste your energy on those pricks, go your own way. Sometimes the equipment has to be big to be able to physically make nice sounds. What do they all suggest? A couple of DI's into the desk and all using phones to monitor the playing? And the drummer wioth a V-Drum kit? I wouldnt mind, but not because we play loud only for all possibilities that opens. But we dont have the dough or lust to do that so until then we contiue to play LOUD with plugs. ( My bandmates call me Loudwig, not without a reason that 400+ is LOUD.) ;)

Happy shopping!
    /Ludwig

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I agree, I use 2 410 and 2 118 in a stereo configuration with a 3k watt power amp. I f they think you are loud, send them my way!!!!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you're rehearsing with that rig and REALLY cannot hear yourself, you ARE playing too loud. I have played in situations where things got so loud you actually couldn't hear ANYTHING anymore, it was just white noise.

A general rule of thumb on stage volume, whether on the gig or in the rehearsal room is that if vocalists can't hear themselves, everything else has to come down in volume, period. Turning up the monitors doesn't help if guitar, bass and drums are all bleeding into the vocal mikes.

5. Do you play your GK400 with the mid contour switch in? I had a GK800...they don't cut at all through guitars with that switch in...
    As far as stage volume...those guys on the audio board are right... a lower stage volume is easier to mic, will bleed less between mics and sound inherently less muddy. Listen to Metallica now; (I know they aren't metal anymore) they have such a better sound now than they did before. (I'm talking just about the sound not the songs.) Before Hetfield was using about 16 marshall stacks...now hes using one mesa halfstack and a Roland jazz chorus combo for clean. They even put plexiglass on Lars most of the time.
    Those guys on the audio board are wrong on the amp part, though... most combos don't have "the sound"... grab your sound and go for it.

6. Regurgitator

Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    HAHA, hey Mesa man, that is exactly what they recommended: to a tee! anyway, thanks for seeing things my way guys. Those guys over there are pricks. I use the GK with the mid-contour out because with it in it cuts the volume so much. It is just not powerfull enough to power my cabs decently. My guitar player uses a Peavey 160 watt solid state head running to a Peavey 412MS cab which can be very loud if cranked but he plays pretty low- around 4-5. I agree about the drummer thing too, my last drummer was very loud but sounded great. Now we are looking for a new drummer(our guy moved). If you guys know anyone in the Tampa Bay area, let me know.

7. prom-1

prom-1

Nov 8, 2000
    Just to reiterate what Mesa Man said, ALWAYS wear ear plugs when playing with a drummer. James Hetfield has tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) and I have it as well, and I don't care how successfull I may become in the music business, as long as I have what's left of my hearing, I'll be happy!

8. Regurgitator

Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    I totally agree, in fact when I can afford it I plan to get fitted for custom pro musician plugs. They are the best until you get In-ear monitors.

9. Stay away from the tinnitus monster! :eek:

Yes tinnitus truly sucks, I would love to get rid of mine.. but hey as long as I use good plugs at any loud occasion Ill be fine in loud environments.. when silence comes around.. thats when the monster comes to whistle in my ears :(

10. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    If it was up to most sound engineers, we all would be playing direct.;) That's why our guitar player does most of our sound and when we have a soundman, he pretty much is told what we want up front so there's no confusion.

11. Regurgitator

Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    No doubt!! That is the way to go, most soundguys want little 12" practice amps and electronic drum sets. Screw all that! Last time I checked this is still rock n' roll.