On what side of your drummer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Feb 20, 2002.

1. To his/her left

32 vote(s)
  2. To his/her right

32 vote(s)
  3. In front of the drummer (all lights on me!)

2 vote(s)
  4. Behind the drummer (i don't enjoy crowds)

2 vote(s)
  5. Varies from gig to gig

16 vote(s)
  6. All over the place (wireless!!)

10 vote(s)
  7. How come people have so much time to design stupid polls???

4 vote(s)
  1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Another stupid poll :D

On what side of your drummer do you stand (as seen from the bands perspective)?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm currently playing in two bands, and I stand on the left in one and on the right in the other, so I wondered if there is any general preference for either?
  3. Our band isn't exactly playing big venues, so I generally stand wherever there's space on the stage. I've never had the luxury of choosing.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm always on the hi-hat side of the drummer. this way i can look over and make eye contact, as well as watch what's up on the snare, the bass drum or the hihats.
  5. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    hi-hat side... which is generally to the drummers' left, unless of course the drummer is a spastic monkey and plays left handed (like one of the drummers I play with).

It helps for communication between myself and drummer-boy. Eye contact is incredibly important.
  6. I stand on his shoulders. And I have an intricate grashoff 4-bar mechanism hooked up from his kick pedal to geneva wheel that actuates the "E" string. This way I'm perfectly in time with his movements.

But that only worked when I was below 200lbs. Now I stand on his left and never...ever look back. Well...I look back when he makes a gigantic mistake. Which means about 1/2 the time.
  7. left always to the hi hat side so i can get a clear view of his bass pedal ,i always stay back next to the kit never out front this is were i feel comfortable.[​IMG]
  8. to his right, because my drummer's left handed and that's his snare side. i'm happy about that, because it also allows me better eye contact with the guitarists, as well as making me more visible to the crowd.
  9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    High-hat side. In my current gig, that puts me in eye contact with the drummer (who's looking over his music stand at me) and between the drummer and the ride trumpet player (so I can hear his solos) and very close to the lead trumpet player (who dictates some important info in a big band).
  10. Upwind:D

Just kidding we don't even have a drummer, but we may this week, looks promising.

Good info about where to stand, I never thought of it till now, that it would be helpful to have a good line of site.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    It varies from gig to gig.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My amp is on his right, I'm usually anywhere. I'm usually playing litterally IN the audience, so I'm in front of him For pretty much the whole set.
  13. usually hi hat side, but I love standing in front of the kick to feel the air
  14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I guess I'm the only one who stands on his non hi-hat side. I still manage to make eye contact and can see all his drums and whatnot. I'm trying to get myself not to watch him so closely though, because I realized at gigs I'm just staring at the kick drum the whole time.
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    USually on the left, sometimes i don't play with a drummer. Those nights are special.
  16. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Left so I can give signals on changes in the song or whatnot to the drummer.:rolleyes: Wish I knew another drummer.
  17. true dat....

jt said what i was thinking, scary i tell ya!!!:eek:
  18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I play with more than one band, so it varies from gig to gig. My main goal is to stay away from the loudest guitar player! :p
  19. good stupid question!

FOr some reason I feel much more confortable standing (or walking around) on the right side of the drummer..
    Maybe is because I´m blind of my right eye but can´t tell if it´s truly because of that..