1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Onboard compressor inside the instrument?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TimBosby, Oct 5, 2009.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Anyone ever do this? My guitar player insists it would be a good idea for bass. Any commercial manufacturers make any sort of drop-in pre-wired onboard compression circuit? Curious how many pots would be needed and if anyone's tried it...

2. alexlotta

alexlotta

Jul 1, 2005
    Triest,italy
    i think it was done ,if i recall i did read on the analogman page that a famous artist did
    attach an orange squeezer ,(not an alanalogm circuit),but maybe it was was just the Pedal stuck with tape on the Belt or similar..

Also there is someone to sell that kind of things for guitar ,in a compact SHAPE..i think "guitar fetish "?

I would'nt do for a lot of reasons:
    1) THE BATTERY :it would need to be replaced far more times ,on bass battery would be drained even if just the jack is plugged (like onboard electronics) ,Unless you arrange ANOTHER SWITCH tu turn-off everthing..
    The pedal could be attached to power unit and stop.

2)It would need space inside the bass and could cause interference Noise with onboard-electronics if there.

3)controls:you can disengage pedal with the foot when you play ,onboard you would have to leave playing .

4)every compressor has his controls:if you put a "demeter " then it would need only 2 pots ,but could be far more.And you end with a bass that looks like a cockpit .

5)if you want to change compressor then ..?Money ,time ,trouble

If You engage Something Always ,then it coould be an idea.
    Filter -based eq where rack-based units,
    but then came wal -alembic and recently acg who made then a choice onboard.
    This is different though,since those filters Take the place of the onboard eletronic.

That it is i believe

3. i thought that the old Gibson RD Artist basses back in the late 70's came with onboard MOOG electronics that included a compressor and sustainer. but i could be wrong.

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth