Onboard EQ a lot or a little?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kevinlane, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Yes, quite a bit

9 vote(s)
  2. No, just a little when strings start to go

8 vote(s)
  1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    How many of use constantly use quite a bit of Eq to get their standard sounds???

I tend to use the EQ for just sweetening the sound, especially if the strings are starting to go.

I've been thinkg lately about taking some different approaches and thought about the on board EQ question
  2. I used to use it quite a lot but now that I have a good preamp with a nice parametric eq I rarely need it
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I run my amp's EQ flat. On one bass, my Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5, I max the bass control and solo the bridge pickup almost all the time. That worked so well I tried it with my Brubaker fretless 5... works great with fretlesses. Otherwise I either make very subtle tweaks or none at all.

Short answer: it depends.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I use mine to find the sweetspot of the bass, then they tend to stay in that spot. Sometimes em use it mid-gig to account for room acoustics, but not often.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Generally speaking, I usually run my amp pretty flat and tweak it for the room. Once thats done, I'll more often than not make EQ changes on my bass, rather than on my amp.

One example: I have a HRP P/J with P-Retro preamp for bass/treble boost. Generally I use a P/J blend, but if I'm going from solo bridge J pickup to solo neck P, I need to back off on the bass boost as the neck P gives plenty of bottom end.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, as Mr Walsh said, it depends...

I switch between basses so I tend to leave the bass amp pretty much flat and control things from the bass EQ. How much depends on the bass. My Overwater: almost flat. The Fender - could use some more range on those knobs...