Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Onboard (mid. freq.) preamp options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cliff Bordwell, Aug 7, 2004.

Your favorite (mid. freq.) set up.

Poll closed Aug 21, 2004.
  1. 1 knob - cut/boost

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. 1 knob - cut/boost w/push/pull freq. selection

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. 1 knob - cut/boost w/ 1 switch for freq. selection

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 1 knob - cut/boost 1 knob sweepable freq. selection

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. 1 stacked knob-top=cut/boost bottom=sweepable freq. selection

24 vote(s)
    31.2%
  6. Other.

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    What is your favorite (mid. freq.) set up when it comes to onboard preamps?

2. dace

dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i went for "1 stacked knob-top=cut/boost bottom=sweepable freq. selection" cos it would be the most versitile.

but are they're any onboard preamps out there that support this?

3. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    The J-Retro and the U-Retro from John East.
    You can also wire the OBP-3 from Aguilar that way if you can find the correct pot.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I had to vote "other" because my current favorite option is my Bongo's high-mid/low-mid setup.

The EMG 18V pre with the sweepable mid stacked knob is also pretty amazing. It's a cleaner sound than the JRetro I used to use, but they are both amazing sounding preamps--just different.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    While it is indeed the most versatile it is also the least easily repeatable except at the extremes. That lends itself towards studio use but not live performance where time is more critical.

My favorites are a single knob with push/pull or 2-3 way toggle switch frequency selector.

6. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I agree, they are cool to play around with, but if you want
    to jump to that setting you had before it's tuff.

I think a 5 position rotary knob would be a good idea, has anyone seen that done before?

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    2 bands of fully parametric eq (i think the one on the demeter hbp is tops)
    being able to control the banwidth helps a great deal

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    On a bass guitar?

Go for it. I had a bass with one band fully parametric and as nice as it was it was a PITA to dial in consistently.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    PRS used to do the rotary dial thing. Didn't like it at all. Might have helped if I just didn't like the bass in general;)

Marleaux has a fairly strange onboard EQ with memory.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    PRS does the rotary thing on a couple guitars for pickup switching, most reviews I've read about it don't like it. I think they use blade switches on everything else now.

I prefer the four band like the Bongo, but a sweep and cut stacked knob would be swank.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh.....well i posted not knowing that this was in the bass section - i just looked at the poll on the home page
    on a bass a mid control with a frequency center switch (like on mtd's) is prolly the best

12. My GB has one knob cut and boost and because of the way the electronics can be configured by Bernie i can set the Freq i want on the board ...with jumper settings and stuff....

I prefer to have just a

Vol, Pan, Treb , Mid and Bass

My Shuker is havin a mid freq placed as a knob but i know ill hardly use it set it and then forget about it.....

Simplicity of use to get the tones quickly is very inportant thats why i really hate Alembics.. its not a quick process lol...

13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    My Older Yamaha TRB (1995) has a 3 position rotary switch. You set the mid eq which is semi parametric in the controll cavity. It is almost the ultimate in reproducable sounds, but as a result, the bass only really has 3 sounds, and I only like 1, which I REALLY like.

14. i voted stacked knob because, well, it's what i have. and it's what i love. a well-voiced single knob mid control can be a thing of beauty no doubt, but i prefer the versatility of a sweepable mid. i have enjoyed the MM preamp on the sterling quite a bit in my time, as well as the old cirrus preamp.

contrary to others' opinions, i have had no trouble repeating previous settings. perhaps it's becuase i'm much more fluid in my tone requirements -- i'm trying to get close to the sound on the recording for a variety of recordings with one bass.

i've found that part of this comfort comes from the relatively shallow +/- 10dB at each frequency that my preamp is tuned for, compared to a more average +/-15dB. i've seen some preamps that go as high as 18dB boost.

i've played basses with a bartolini NTMB preamp, which has a three-position switch. i enjoyed it quite a bit; it's nice in its own right and is almost as versatile -- in the studio sense -- as a sweepable mid. even a push-pull or two-position switch would be adequate for gigging, though i do appreciate adjusting around 400Hz as well as 250Hz and 1kHz.

robb.