onboard or outboard preamp/eq with emg ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jacopas, May 11, 2002.

1. Hi guys,
    i would like to learn your recommendations for to use with emg pj set ..I am planning to put emg bqc system but i heard that it aint not good so thought that outboard eq would be better ?
    There are two brands i know ;SansAmp bass driver di and yamaha ne-1.
    Should i go with emg bqc system(3 band eq) or with an outboard preamp or both of them:)

2. is there any1 reading this post:confused:
  3. I second your criticism...
    For you to inform: While writing this there were 27 visits made so far to your subject. Yes some people read but ununderstandably :confused: (I don't know if such word exists) in "pickups" subject normally you can't get the answers that you'd like or not an answer at all..

I wanted to search an answer and hear what others were thinking about some pu's twice such as http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=46850 and very few answers returned (thanks for the people taking time to answer and comment)

I don't know what is wrong with it. Does pro/cons want to not to share their experiments? Does noone have an experiment with such things? Of course noone can force another one to write a commment on a topic but when you get used to have very nice answers to your subjects in other areas of TB, you begin to ask what is wrong with this one (at least I ask this to myself)

I had other topics under other subjects such as "setup" and "basses" and had great answers from great TB'ers but sincerely this "pickup" subject is the one that I like least...

Not to offend anybody, not to judge others but could you enlighten me what is wrong with pickup topics?
  4. And to add I normally do lots of search before posting a topic here (for example for the topic that I've given the link in the above post). On the other hand I don't see a negative point in posting again some subjects and have again answers as some ideas change by the time, there can always be some additions and those repeated topics can be a good place to discuss those and make additions.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Maybe, people aren't responding because they don't have an answer to you 5 or 6 questions.

I don't like the EMG BQC. I tried it in a bass & didn't like the shaping of the midrange. I'd Recomend the BTC or BTS System. I'd Recomend the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp but that might need modifactions to the bass that you didn't include in either of your posts.

I've never tried the SansAmp bass driver di .
    I've never tried the yamaha ne-1.

Patience is a vurtue.
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have the onboard emg preamp on my spector
    and it sounds great!!!!
    i don't know what other people say
    i am also convertiting it to 18 volts!!
    for more head room
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You are talking about three radically different EQs!!!

The EMG system is a typical on board multiband boost/cut EQ.

The SansAmp has 2-band EQ but is really an amp emulator, that is it gives you a sound like a cranked tube amplifier and can be uesed as a DI.

The NE-1 is a simple midrange notch EQ, similar to the "contour" and "enhance" circuits found on many modern amps.

You didn't even mention your bass, your amp, your budget or what kind of music you will be playing all of which has a huge impact on what you should get.

My suggestion: the EMG pickups have a preamp in them already, the supplied tone control actually gives a wide range of colors but not the sort of exaggerated tones you can get with severe EQ boosts. But your AMPLIFIER already has EQ and can give you that sort of boost anyway...so just go with the stock PJ set FIRST and then decide if you need more.