Onboard preamp 3 band eq boost cut under $400 CAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd say that's fairly informative, neh? Anyway, yeah, my birthday's around the corner (next week) and I'm asking for a preamp for my bass. Like I said, I want it with 3 bands with boost and cut and under $400 CAD. Not TOO big, I don't want to have to do too much routing. Also, one with a mid-> dark/light pot would be great, but I don't expect to find that in one so cheap. Thanks for the help!
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Aguilar OBP-3

Just installed one in my '87 Warwick Streamer with EMG pickups and it sounds amazing:

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ooooo, I was looking at one of those in the preamp shootout on www.BGRA.net (bass gear review archive).

I also kind of forgot: I play mostly fingerstyle, some slap, little picking -- but some. The pickups that this will be used in conjuction with are Duncan Hot for P and Hot for J for as versatile a sound as possible.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, another vote for the aguilar obp-3.

there are other ones in the price range you mention, such as bartolini and seymour duncan. But the Aguilar has the smallest footprint, and to my ears is the best sounding. I have one in my Warwick thumb, the bass boost is great.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    WOOT! I just got a call from the guy at Kingston Soundworks and an old dealer is looking to get rid of a bunch of preamps he has in stock, so I can get it for much better than the $179 list price. Aguilar, here I cooooooome! Thanks folks.