Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

onboard preamp choice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by link wray, Jan 22, 2006.

1. I recently acquired an Ibanez Musician (MC924) bass from 1983. The stock active electronics are gone; she's passive now. I would like to make it active again. So now i have to choose what onboard preamp to put in. John Easts U-retro was first choice but is too expensive. I hear Aguilar and Bartolini also have good products, but i would like to know if there is more to choose from... and of course your opinions on them. Budget is max 200 euro, but less is even better.
    The pickups are of normal passive impedance BTW.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'd suggest the Aguilar OBP3. I have the -1 and it's one of the nicest commercial pre's I've tried.

3. I have the Seymour Duncan STC-2 in my main bass and I love it. Very quiet and very versatile (the slap switch is a really nice feature). There's also the STC-3 with 3 band eq if you want a midrange control too.

4. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hi Link,

Since you are in Europe, you may try Noll preamp. They are in your price range and are very flexible with 2 to 4 bands with parametric or not.
    www.noll-electronic.de
    Noll works with a lot of German luthier from Lefey to the famous Ritter.

Exclusive info too, Glockenklang is now making an onboard preamp for bass : 3 bands, active/passive with treb roll off in your price too.

Good luck

Shiveringbass

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Was going to suggest the exact same thing.

6. Yes, I am considering Noll too.. specifically the 3-band non-parametric EQ (B2012). That would both serve my aversion of stacked knobs and be 'historically correct' in that the original Musician preamp was also 3-band non-parametric.

7. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Trip W. here! I just had my Vigier Arpege fretless 5 modded with a Glock. It's dead quiet. Literally. And in passive mode the treble control works like a tone control. It also brought out more 2nd harmonic and just ruled my little world for a while. Then I got home and played with my son. That was better. But still the Glock rocks my socks. :)