1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Onboard preamp or outboard preamp/DI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dragzole, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Im in a bit of a dilemma here. I don't know whether to go for the Aguilar tonehammer preamp/DI or the Aguilar Obp-3 onboard preamp. Im enthusiastic about improving my actual bass, but with the preamp I only get three bands of Eq as opposed to the tonehammer which has 4 bands of eq and overdrive, and of course the all important XLR out(DI). The tonehammer is like $80 bucks more than the obp-3. Also, if i were to go with the obp-3, how much would it cost to have it installed. Any advice on this much appreciated! EDIT: If anyone wants to suggest superior onboard preamps please do (3 band preamps)!

2. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    hi, i have used an audere onboard preamp which was quite good .. jz3 i think.. but its a jazz bass replacement (they make other onboard preamps which are not bass specific).. i would suggest you get the tonehammer if you like the overdrive sound otherwise just get the obp-3 or some othe OBPreamp that suits you.. best of luck

3. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    What bass do you have and what pickups is it fitted with? Is it worth ugrading or adding a pre-amp or would this be the start of a number of upgrades to your bass?

Have you tried the Tonehammer in store?