1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Onboard preamp or Sansamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Enmesarra, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

Apr 29, 2007
    Turkey
    I know it might sound stupid but I have nearly 350-400 bucks to spend and I was thinking of buying a Bartolini PJ set for my 5 string Jackson and a Sansamp RBI, then I thought that Bartolini pickups+Bartolini onboard preamp might be better. I don't have a cabinet or poweramp to carry to our gigs, I play with whatever is there, in that case, onboard preamp would come in more handy that RBI. What do you suggest?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You can use both. They're complementary rather than mutually exclusive.

3. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

Apr 29, 2007
    Turkey
    But the problem is that I can't afford both RBI and onboard preamp :)

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you want something to plug into the PA with I'd imagine an RBI would be more useful. On the other hand if you plan to buy a combo later it wouldn't be needed.

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    IMHO, if you do not have a bass amp and cabinet, get Sansamp. Bartolini is a good pre but it will not sound great on a PA system (though it will sound ok). Sansamp does sound great!

6. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    As basdam said, the bddi will give you more options. If you are playing gigs anywhere I'd recomend getting the sansamp.

7. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i think the sansamp is way more flexible and benefits all my basses...i also use it to dirty up my ebs combo.

in years to come as basses and amps come and go ...ill bet you will still have the trusty sansamp kicking around as usefull as the day u bought it.

8. How about an Audere and a Paradriver DI?

9. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

Apr 29, 2007
    Turkey
    Thanks for the answers!I have decided on Bartolini P/J+Aguilar OBP-3, and I will get the Sansamp BDDI or PDDI from here with the money I'll borrow from a friend of mine. I thought that RBI would be hard to transport to gigs.

Chris Breeze, I haven't seen much Audere praise in this forum (maybe because I didn't look for it enough :)), Aguilar-EMG-Bartolini seemed better to me. Huge thanks for your advice though.

10. I had a Sansamp BDDI, I ended up getting a PODXT after that.Great unit too!! Check out the POD XT.