Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Onboard preamp outboard...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 1, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can an onboard preamp be mounted in a box somehow to be used as an external eq box? This is just an idea so I wont have to mod my bass. What is needed? Ordinary inputjack into the preamp where the pickupwires would normally go?

(To moderator: Might not be the right forum. Please move it if Im in the wrong place)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Currently working on the same thing dude. Will let you know when I get it figured out. And I hope I had more luck with response than you did.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    By the way, yeh it can be done and I suspect it's fairly simple if you know what you're doing - like playing bass I guess.

4. Exactly so, put a 1/4 inch input jack in a metal box, wire the jack to the input of the preamp, and wire an output jack. Hint: for the output jack, use a stereo (3 conductor) jack. Wire the negative of the battery to the ring terminal on the jack. Wire the shield to the negative output of the preamp, and the tip to the postitive of the preamp. This way, the battery will be disconnected when you unplug the output cable. Also make sure the shield is conencted to the box somewhere to ground it, this will help prevent hum.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Done deal dude. See "wiring onboard preamp for outboard" thread under amps in talkbass.