Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OnBoard preamp schematics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by togo002, Sep 10, 2005.

1. togo002

togo002

Jul 19, 2005
    Can anyone give me a schematic for an active onboard preamp the pots would be Main Volume Treble,Mid,Bass Boost/cut, Pickup Panning, Rear Volume the pickups would be two humbuckers

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'm guessing what you're asking here is for is a wiring harness diagram and not a schematic for making a preamp to meet that outcome?

The harness diagrams can be found at the appropriate maufacturer site - Bart, Aggie, whoever.

If you're looking for a schematic for a preamp, I don't have a clue.

3. togo002

togo002

Jul 19, 2005
    Oh is that what it is? I didnt really know This ones a burny and so far I cant find one this bass might have been a custom im just not sure

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Heard of Burns basses but not a burny pre. Ideally you'd want to know recommended pot values (particularly volume). But basically it will be 25K or other. If you get extremely low volume with a 25K volume pot, you can pretty much bet about any other will do fine to get you by and get it to work where it can be used.

And unless you're extremely determined, you need to know the color code so you know what wires do what.

If you know those two things you're pretty much home free and I wouldn't get hung up on the particular manufacturer as far as the wiring diagram goes. Wiring is pretty much wiring and you can use any diagram that has your desired pot layout as a basis. In some 15 or more pre's I only had problems with one not hitting it on first attempt - and that one I just had to chuck the buffer and it was fine.

Fact is however, you're probably better off getting something known than wasting time on something not. No doubt they're out there but I personally haven't experienced a pre that has any significant edge on tone over any other pre. They're sigificant edges exist in other variables - Aggie's are small (newer models), Retro's drop in, Barts typically come with a gain trim pot, EMG's have the treble knee frequency adjust, etc.