once again: db750 tube swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sandmann, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hi,

i know this has been discussed a lot in the past but unfortunatly i do not have the time to read all that has been written on this topic.

i sometimes find the tone of my aguilar db750 just a little bit too woolly and not open enough. not that much a problem with my active basses (jazz-bass deluxe and stingray) but with my passive jazz-basses i sometimes miss a little "sparkle".

a lot has been written about changing tubes in the preamp. can you please tell me which tube in which position will open up the sound of this amp???

any help is highly appreciated!!!

regards,

the sandmann

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Change the 3 12ax7 for CV4004 and the 12au7 for CV4003.
    Don't be a dullard fit a Mullard.
    :ninja:

3. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    thanks a lot!

i got 7 different 12ax7 and 12au7 (telefunken, mullard, tad ...) from my local guitar shop to try out over the weekend. i will let you know. maybe the telefunken in V-1 does it for me.

i will let you know.

sandmann

4. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    so on the weekend i spent two hours with my db750 and changed some tubes. the result: i didn´t hear a difference at all, at least nothing noticeable. i had mullards, telefunken, siemens and briams in v1 and v4 and could not notice any difference compared to the stock sovtec and electro harmonix. unfortunatly. i am sorry.

i accept my db750 as it is: a freakin loud ballsy rock amp and not a hifi slap amp. putting the tone hammer in front of it or even using it as preamp gives the db750 a lot more tonal options.

thanks again,

sandmann

RiXx likes this.
  5. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    haha, nice... I swapped out my v1 for a GT 12AX7-R as a rush job that I bought from... eeek GC. The old v1 going out caused the swap and I have to be honest even with the "ugly k-mart tube" my DB sounded like a DB after the swap and I don't feel the need to go get a fancy pants tube.... don't get me wrong I may do it down the line and find "the land and king are one" in a telefunken but at this time i'm good with my crack pipe bottle

6. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    These tonal changes are relatively small though not insignificant.
    The reliability of mil grade Mullard tubes are legendary and based on
    long experience.
    Groove Tubes are not of the land, more of the upper middle class but not exactly nobility donch'a know!.
    Valves are like Grape it takes a connoisseur to fully appreciate the subtleties. And no a big muff pedal wont help the process.
    :D

RiXx likes this.
  7. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Cool.
    My V1 swap made a nice difference for me. Not huge but significant in the 'feel' part which is what I was trying to improve. I already love the tone.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021