Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Once in a life time deals...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I am either Unlucky or Lucky because I had Two 'once in a lifetime' basses slip through my fingers...

Number one (The really bad one) I met an old guy that was 'giving up bass' at the swap meet, he was selling his old setup.

A 1961 Fender Jazz Bass, and a 61 Fender tube amp (never looked at amp)

He was selling it as a set ONLY, he said a fair price would be what he paid for it $50 :eek: , I keep the Coolest, Calmest face I have ever had and said "Could you do it for $36?" he said "No"
    "I asked why not" he said "I want to break even"

I was sad for months... I could have sold that thing for SOO much...

My other one, A guy was getting a divorce and went to my local music shop to sell his stuff, he walked up to me and said "want to buy a bass?" I said "Sorry, I probably dont have enough money for it" he said "no Biggie" on my way out I saw him again and asked "what are you selling anyways?" he said "I have a Lakland 55-94 Deluxe for $600 and an MTD 435 for $400, I really need money like right now..." I almost died from shock... They looked FLAWLESS, I told him "Wait right here, Im gonna go get $1,000" So I go home, take all my money (about $700) and steal :)eek: ) about $350 from my parents room... (I know, I know) but when I got back to the music store he was gone... I think it was some VERY 'unfunny' practicle joke...

I'm waitin' for my next heartbreak...

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The first situation well hey.but the second one it may have been a good thing that the guy was gone.the two basses might have been stolen,and if so you could have gotton yourself in trouble with the law or worse. the guy could have waited for you to come back and taken your money/life.sounds like he was in a big hurry.maybe a bassist close to the area you were in lost his/her Basses.I would just like to say be very careful next time(you should ask the guys in the music store if he ever asked them if they were interested in buying the basses,being that you met him in there.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just made a once in a lifetime deal this summer for a Lakland 55-94 deluxe... About the only time in my life that I would be able to get it!

P@

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I bought a used Glockenklang HearCore head for $416! That's my best deal so far.

Dan K.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    May i ask why you didnt take the first deal?

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I got a 300W trace elliot combo for £150 including postage off a 2nd hand website, that's my best bass bargain to date.

shame about the near steals though, although jaquos point does make sense..

PS shame on you for stealing form your parents :eek:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My best so far: Y2K MIM P-Bass, EMG's, Tweed HSC for $200.

I'm still looking though :)

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bought a used Bogart 5 Fretless for $700, swapped it even for a Zon Sonus Special 5 Fretless with w/hardshell case & a brand-new neck.

:cool:

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    My best deal even was a Yamaha TRB6P in good condition - customised with new kent armstrong pups, slimmed neck, and carbon fibre rods throughout neck - for £150!!!

Basically the jazz bassist it belonged to liked me because i showed a real interest in his playing, and always turned out to see him perform. Plus he said he just didnt play it anymore.

:)

For a pic see the recent 'Lets see then Yamahas' thread, page three.

Regards

Mike

10. Every piece of kit i own seems to have been a once in a lifetime deal,

my Ashdown ABM500 was £300 brand new, and the rrp is £1100.

My Yamaha attitude special 1992 was £150 in a guitar shop, and these things retailed for £900.

And the dimarzio willpower middle and neck pups i got for it were £50 new off ebay.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was searching through completed auctions about 4 months ago and i saw an auction entitled "bass giutar" (mispelled) so i clicked on it. I looked at the pics and it was a Gibson Ripper. It sold for $76!

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've had a couple of ok deals. First was a 74 Fender P LPB (pro refin) with Brass pickguard. I traded a guy that wanted a 5 string in 92 with my brand new USED $250 89-90 Carvin LB75.

The thing weighed about 600lbs (no really... it was the heaviest bass EVER) so I traded it on an AMP BH-260... the kid gave me $500 + the amp :bassist: I took my profit to Rudy's in NYC and scored a Bag End S15 :cool:

Recently (03-2003) Here on TB I got a killer Sunn Sceptre Tube head. it's got a tone to die for! (Thanks patrickj!!!) $125 was his asking price. Not that I'm looking to sell it, but they sell all day long @ about $300 on eBay.
    (it's a pair of 6550 power tubes... so 60- 100 watts depending on who you ask. Either way it's about as loud as my 200 watt Ashdown combo)

OH YEAH!!!! Jondog knew I was fretting the rebuild on my old Volvo wagon... so he GAVE me a 1980 Mercury Zephyr he was trying to ditch. (Thanks again!!!)

:eek: :D He even delivered it to me (about 1.5 hours drive)

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt callm it a "once in a lifetime deal", but it was a deal. I bought my Ampeg B100r on ebay for $162.50 + shipping (which totalled to $200). It was in perfect working order, just a few little scuffs in the tolex and the Ampeg logo on the front was lost.

14. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    Just like to say, I am willing to accept a once in a life time deal from one of you swinging cat on a bass(specialy on a 6'er)
    :D[​IMG]

15. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I didnt have enough Money for the old guy with the fender, I really, really wanted it, but Im not big on Fenders so I prolly would have just sold it, Beleive me, I asked people I didnt know for money (Seriously) I wanted it, it was Candy apple red :( I wish I had more than $36 that day...

Never thought of it being stolen, that could have been a possibility... That might have been a bad idea after all...

Stealing from my parents: I would have sold the MTD and gave them what I took, plus half of what I got for the bass they said "You wouldnt be grounded if it worked out" (they were buying my car so whatever they said went, but it was a fair trade for me so Its cool)

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Now that I think of it, I had another tremendous deal. You see that ad in my signature about buying broken pedals? Someone responded, told me they had an old, broken MXR Distortion + and an Electro Harmonix Doctor Q, wanted $50 for the broken pair plus shipping. $60 sent, two pedals came. The MXR just needed a fresh battery, the Dr. Q just needed a new battery snap. Sold the Distortion + for $75, sold the Doctor Q for $100. Not bad for a day's work :)

17. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Glad you're enjoying the Zephyr James!

I've gotten several good deals over the years. I'd say the best one was at a flea market in AL. The guy had several pedals that his brother used to use. One of them was an original ('76?) gray Boss CE1 Chorus Ensemble -- I got it for $25! They go for at least $150 on ebay and are the holy grail for vintage chorus enthusiasts. I rarely used it because I don't really need a chorus, so I eventually traded it and a Digitech XBS for a Korg G5, the holy grail of bass synth pedals.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey, well... I don't exactly know/think that this is a once in a lifetime deal. But it's pretty damn good.

I got a used (about 6 months) Ampeg PR-410hlf 4x10 cab. Brand new the cab costs $1000, the deal I got, was the cab, and a custom cover for $400.
    The only thing on the cab was some surface scratches.
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've not had the "deal from heaven" fall into my lap. If I thought something was good, I'd just buy it.
    But then again, I'm not quite the gear-head some of you TB'ers are.

I am looking to add a 15" cab to my 2x10 cab for some extra "oomph".

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I live for the good deals.

Zon Sonus 5/2 - $599
    Ampeg SVT Pro III - $299
    Eden 1x15: $299

Not a bad rig, if I may say so...