Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Once you go 5-String, its hard to go back...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 3, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, yup...

after spending a few days with my new Elrick singlecut, my hands have made the transition.

at first i thought it was gonna be hard getting used to the low B and trying to work it into certain songs, and admittedly, it is! ;)

but when i'm thinking of new lines for new songs that extra string has revved up my playing. the access to more low tones really adds a new dimension to my groovin'. nothin beats slap/poppin' from a low B up to neck!

nothin' against he 4 slingers here, but like i said, once you've gotten used to a 5 string, its hard to go back...

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree!

I´ve been using a fiver for about 7yrs now, and I always feel kinda awkward when I play a four stringer.

My next bass (wishful thinking) will either be a fiver or a sixer.

3. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm glad you found the "power" of the Lowb :)

Having played a five for 3-4 years, i recently purchased a 4 string jazz, which i have no problem playing, however as i have a 4, 5, and 6 string i'm more used to changing between multiple string basses.

From my user name it's obvious which is my fave, but the 4 string has its place, and i enjoy the different styles i can play with mine. Also you just can't get Marcus miller's sound out of any other bass than a 4 string Jazz.

Peace

4. agh.. i play both 4 and 5 stringers :)

4 stringers have 19mm spacing, and the 5-stringer has 16.. makes no difference to me.. can't play either of them correctly.. so... :D

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As long as you keep them in the rotation, you can switch back and forth.

I play 4, 5, 6 & 12 stringers and have no problems with any of them.

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've been playing 5's for about 3 years, and while I can play the 4's, I don't. Love the B.

7. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    If you like 5 string now wait until you discover that you have hidden smaller "4 string" if you start on the 5 fret of the B string.

It might sound silly but It is the best thing about the 5 string bass. Consider that the 5 fret of the B string is really de E on a 4 string and play everything acordingly this gives you 2 main advantages!!

1) You will deal with a smaller scale which means faster and less strain on your fingers. You will be able to play a lot longer without getting so tired because u wont have to reach as much.

2) You can eq for clear highs and still get reggae lows, there nothing like the sound off the fat B string when it is played from the 5 fret on (the sound on frets 1-5 is not always great on 5stringers)

If I went back to 4 strings I think I woul tune B-E-A-G since I am dont do slap.
    :cool:

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    strange for me: i played 4, then switched to 5 but never felt really good. so went back to 4, in the meantimne i started messing around with guitars so i started getting confortable with small neck, thin 6 strings, picks. now i play 4 strings basses and 6 strings guitars. but in the future i'd like to retry 5 strings basses. plus i have always had interest in 8 (doubled strings) strings basses. once i tried the hamer 12 chapparal and loved it.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    it hard to pick them up again.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I gave up 4 string basses for fivers over 10 years ago... have barely touched any 4's since.

I don't know what I'm thinking... but I just bought a 20 year old G&L fretless 4. I keep playing my 5 string wishing it only had 4 strings :oops:
    I actually went to a local shop just to fondle the 4 stringers the other day

I can't wait till I finish paying it off so I can actually play the d@mn thing :rolleyes: (3 weeks and counting... unless my tax cheque shows up)

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    When I went fiver about a year and a half ago I stayed exlusively 5 for about six months. Now I alternate equally between my RB5 and 4 string ( '57 RI P). I like them both, equally, for their different flavors.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I can switch back and forth, no problem; however, I prefer fours, the narrower necks are just more comfortable to me. I do take a five to gigs for the couple of songs where I need one (and for backup), but I mainly use 4-string Fenders.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What Jeff said.

14. I've been in the 5-string club for a couple of months and I really don't have any trouble switching back and forth. Love my Stingray 5, but I still love playing my 4 string Jazz. Every once in a while I go for the low B and it isn't there though....:D I think I'm going to get a 6 next!

15. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    After years of cycling through many basses, my 3 mains today are all 5's. They just work for my style of playing the best. The only troubling thing is that I would like to add an Alembic Series I or II to my arsenal. Used would be fine and 4 string Series I's pop up all the time at a great price. Unfortuneately, the same definitely can't be said for 5's:(.

Oh well,
    Bones

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Same issue I have with my search for a used Rob Allen!

17. i got my fiver about 2-3 weeks ago, i LOVE it!.
    just the fact that you can do a 2 octave scale (major OR minor) and 3 octaves with very little hand movement was enough to make me love it, and i love the low b, it shakes the house.

anyway back on track for a moment,
    i hadn't played my 4 for at least 2 weeks, and last night i played it because my 5 was downstaires and i couldn't be bothered to get it :D and now i see what people mean when they say pencil neck! i could still play it fine but it just didn't seem quite right. so i'm gonna rip the frets out and play around with the fretless idea a bit more (i already have a fretless, but i don't like the feel of it so i dant play it)

anyway thats my story

l8rz

Tom

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As much as I dearly love my MusicMan Sabre it feels incomplete with only 4 strings. Except for the time it was the only bass I had @rehearsal, I don't play it anymore.

I have written Ernie Ball begging them to make a 5-string Sabre with *standard* string spacing (as opposed to the skinny spacing on the 'Ray 5). It would be great if more of you TBers added your votes here... but of course I want full credit if they release the beauty. :cool: :p

I started playing 5 just 2 years ago, and wish I had started long before that. I don't miss 4-string at all, and have no desire to try 6+. Standard-spaced BEADG fivers are absolutely perfect for my technique, style, and optimum playing comfort.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm catching that 5er bug too...I didn't mind switching for the first few months, but now I'm more and more using the G string on my 5er (My 4 is BEAD). At least I know the next one's gonna be a 5.

20. Not so true...I started out on a 5 and found that 4's were more comfortable to me, so I switched to 4. I barely use the G string anyways.