1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Once you go tube...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 15000volts, Oct 6, 2010.

1. maaaaaaaaaaat

maaaaaaaaaaat

Jul 9, 2007
    +1 Completly agree

Had a mate plug his sansamp into my svt told him he was crazy

2. well, that's some bad news... my current amp is 150W SS w/ a 112 speaker, and it manages small gigs pretty well on its own, so I need at least that. as far as cabinets are concerned, I think I'd be well if I had a 112 and a 210, or maybe 212's? but hey, I'll deal with that later, first is the head.

3. I bought a 76 SVT about 10 years ago, and it's been without a doubt the greatest amp I've owned.

Being as it doesn't have a gain knob, I can see how it wouldn't be the best choice for some styles (as it goes from zero to Howitzer in half a volume knob turn), but for rock, I've never heard anything better.

There's just something about the way tubes react to your attack that no solid-state or hybrid amp can exactly emulate. I love being able to push into subtle overdrive just by laying into the thing a bit, and still being able to get a super-fat, propulsive sound just by easing up, all without twiddling knobs or messing with pedals.

Sure, it weighs 80lbs, and I have to retube it every 300 gigs or so, but it still makes me smile every time I turn it on, and no tubeless amp has ever made me do that...

4. I'll play through my SVT for as long as I can carry it.

5. Gav4003

Gav4003

Jul 22, 2010
    Bridgend U.K.
    Endorsing Artist: Dovetail strings
    My favourite head of al time is the hartke ha3500, changed the stock valve for a tesla/jj and it is magic. Versatile, reliable as hell and more headroom than a man could ever need.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    It's not so much that 50 tube watts is louder......like everyone says "watts are watts"....but the perceived volume of 50 tube watts may be right up there with your 150w SS amp.

:bag:

More speakers always help with volume too. :)

7. 50W ain't much louder than 30, agreed, but with 50 I'd get more headroom until breakup, which means I could set it to a higher volume without melting every face in the audience with my fabulous od :bassist:

8. bassplayerken

bassplayerken

Jul 18, 2010
    Jessup, MD
    I recently bought into the tube amp decision, but didn't take a full dive. I am rocking the tube preamp into power amp setup and I feel it gives me the tube tone with the SS power. It also saves me from the cons of both tube and solid state, since I have the best of both worlds. It won't get close to a full tube amp since I am missing the power tubes, but I get the grit and musical clarity that tubes offer. I'm also pushing that tone behind 2000W, and my rack weighs under 50 lbs.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Your fabulous od????

10. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    As long as you, as stated love tube tone, that makes perfectly sense. I prefer SS tone, would never consider an all tube amp. :)

11. sorry, a friend of mine was talking about Brüno, I guess I caught up to much of its influence...:rollno:

12. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Trut so pure. Dynamics, it has 'em.

13. dual terror is great for bass

i use a 50watt bassman

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

No offense intended, but that's hardly true - I've played gigs on provided backlines with a 3500 and a pair of Hartke 410s, and that rig was begging for mercy... I know from experience that the HA3500 doesn't have half the A$$ the 700rb-II does - and that I make one clip on a regular basis at *my* typical gigging volumes...

- georgestrings

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Who the heck is Bruno???

16. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Practiced and gigged enough tube stuff, but have never gone tube. Once you go tube, it's not heresy to return to what you had before tube.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's precisely what I did. I lost the ability to carry it in the early '80s.

18. ever heard of the movie Brüno?

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Nope!

As for going tube, I've been there, had no choice, and I'd never go back. Took me a long time to get rid of all traces of distortion and I'm not looking to get it back!

20. THIS...
    AND THIS...
    Most noticable difference is probably the weight, IMO.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021