1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Once you go tube...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 15000volts, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Guitar amp, yes. Tube bass amp, no.

2. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I had my 1st experience w/ a tube amp this past weekend. In my seemingly never-ending search for a new rig, I tried a Traynor YBA200-2 on a whim. I know they say 'watts is watts', but these 200 watts rivaled everything else I've tried so far, from 250-800w. Playing through the same Berg HT322 that I've used to demo others, this Traynor shook anything in the store that wasn't nailed down! I don't know if the adjective is dirty, growly, or whatever, but the sound was definitely different than any SS I've tried.

It's obviously not light at 42ish lbs, and I really was looking for a lightweight setup. If I do decide to go in that direction, I'd just have to be prepared to make at least 2 trips from my car for any gigs I do.

3. 42 is light! :D

4. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Just switched from SS (GK 1001RBll) to Hybrid (GK Fusion 550) and let me tell you, this thing rocks!! All the benefits of SS plus that vintage "warm and fuzzy" tube sound. No matter if I'm using my passive J bass or my Active Warwick bass, this think thumps and shakes the walls in every club i've plaid in.

ME LIKE. :bassist: Bought it here on talk bass and got a great deal on a smokin peice of equipment. (not litterally) Y'know what i'm talkin about.

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    +1

42lbs?

That ain't nuthin!

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I must say I really like having a tube amp. The way it responds to playing is just so nice. I also love distortion, and I never knew how good fuzz pedals could sound until I played them through an all-tube amp. For what I'm doing right now, it's great and I can still handle the weight. I will be sad when I am no longer able to do so.

A little off topic, but when people are surprised at the volume a 'lower powered' tube amp puts out, I gotta think that it's really more the sensitivity of the speaker cab that puts out the volume and not the head. You can also push tubes into higher THD before it sounds bad (if THD from tubes ever sounds bad... I haven't gotten there yet :D).

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    after 10 years of letting my tube amps collect dust for the most part, save for an occasional b-15 gig, i fixed them up a couple years ago and i'll hoist them until i can't anymore.

but i've never walked out on a band because the bass player used a ss amp, nor has anyone walked out on me that i know of. and i've been known to sport an inexpensive crate power block on some gigs where i couldn't bring the good stuff. and i love sansamp emulation and use it with my tubers often, so nyah nyah...i've got it all! I'M RICH!!! RICH IN BASS TONE, I TELL YOU!!!

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Of course. IMO and IME and all that. I never have and never would looked down on someone for using any particular piece of gear over another. If you have great tone, you have great tone. Now tell me how you got it! haha

9. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I neglected to mention that I'm 51 with a herniated L3/L4 disc. I ain't no spring chicken anymore! ;)

It's normally under control, but when it flares up ... :eek:

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends on what you are looking for I guess. I have owned a bunch of tube amps(mid 70's SVT, 60's B15N, SB12, Aguilar DB359's, etc), and while they are great, there are some great sounding solid state heads out there as well. The Sansamps get really really close to the sound of a tube amp, and throwing a VT in front of your 700RB might get you what you are looking for.

11. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I have gone "tube" and won't go back anytime soon.. the Ampeg CL shatters any and all amps I have EVER used..

12. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    and I have bought a VT pedal and other items.. which will all soon be sold on here..

13. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    you can drive a tube past its stated output, and it gets a sweetness to the distortion that no sans amp or solid state device can reproduce exactly. for example- a 100 watt rms solid state amp putting out 113 watts will sound like crap, a 100 watt tube amp will sound juicy up to 140 watts and maybe beyond. the reason is : solid state transistors distort in odd order harmonics, the 3rd, the 5th ect. tubes distort in even order harmonics and those are musically pleasing to the ear. odd order harmonics sound ragged. thats the "secret". johnny a.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Old internet lore is the crux of the hype.

15. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Good bass>Sansamp BDDI>Good class D amp=90% of tube sound.

The only thing missing is the shear power of an all-tube amp.

Your audience won't miss the 10% and you won't miss carrying a 75 lb. head.

16. [​IMG]

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    right...old internet lore...we're all stupid except for you, seamonkey, even though some of us were out working the trenches long before you were even born, and long before there was such a thing as the internet. or home computers for that matter.

johnny april, as usual, is right that the distortion factor is big with tube vs ss, but imho, it's the clean tones and the responsiveness that put it over the top for me. after using an svt, ss and hybrids feel compressed to me. some more than others, but i always feel a little of it. and despite tube compression being a factor, when i play a tube amp, it feels the least compressed of any of them.

however, i certainly won't sell solid state short like i used to. in the last few years they have made great strides with ss/hybrid technology, and they're closer than ever to matching it. still not quite there yet, but it's close enough to where i can use a sansamp vt with my tube amps and don't really miss being able to crank my amps into power tube distortion. plus it keeps me fron getting fired when i need that sound ;)

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Close enough is.

:cool:

19. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Yup, the G-K 550 is really nice & gets pretty LOUD if you need it!

20. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I find I could still appreciate some hybrids, but I'd always lust after the tone of my SVT. It's ADDICTIVE! I wish I could carry my SVT in my pocket, but for now the VT'll have to do.

Oddly enough, of all people, my lead guitarist is now moving back to SS and amp emulation.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021