1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Once you go tube...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 15000volts, Oct 6, 2010.

1. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    My apologies!

2. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Yep, that's it!!!

3. Mine's using the solid state Vox Brian May Recording Amp... into a 400+. :bawl:

4. Ive swung back and forth for years.

SWR grand prix (tube pre) w/ crown power amp, then I got boogie cabs and it sounded like garbage, so I decided I needed a 400+.
    I had found the tone, used a compressor on it and it was phenominal. (thru a RR 2x15 & 2x10) Had + comments at every gig.

The main problem is it was in shop alot. It just didn't come on at a few crucial gigs, athough it did hold up on the road.

After my gig was done with that band I decided I didn't want to lug around a separate 8 sp rack as my amplifier.
    I sold the 400+ and picked up a M2000 w/ everything (compressor) built in. It has served me very well, but tone is a never ending qwest, and I started getting antsy.

I picked up a Marshall JCM 800 Bass Series Super bass Mark II 100w, and bought 2 JCM 800 Bass Series cabs.(1) 2x15 and (1) 2x10/1x15.
    The latter was designed for use w/ the Marshall IBS amps & the 2x15 just didn't work well w/ the superbass either.

So I sold a Rick 4003 to someone in Denver, and on the way home I picked up another Mark II superbass 100w (CL) for $1000...and the seller thru in the 1935a Bass series 4x12.

Finally, The super bass performed like it should. So dynamic. Clear w/ a light touch and grinding overdrive when you dig in.
    I have 2 Super bass amps: 1 w/ the vert inputs and 1 w/ horiz inputs. The vert input amp is more desireable cos it performs better in the mids and highs.
    I am now caught in the middle w/ 2 pretty big gigs coming up.

I'll probably go with what I know best, the boogie for now.
    But I find myself liking the tube amp more and more, it just blends better. Eventually I think the Super Bass will gain the edge. Not to mention, the transport will be easier.
    Carrying 3 1/2 stacks in the van will be easier than having to carry 2 boogie 1x15s and the RR 4-space case + (2) 1/2 stacks.

I think I just answered my own question. :hyper:

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The 400+ is the only tube amp I've owned I've liked enough to keep, which is why I'm rocking it now! :bassist::bassist:

There are plenty of other SS/hybrids I'd like to have in the stable though.
    GK2001
    Aguilar DB750
    Mesa V12
    Eden WT800

Like James said, a great amp is a great amp regardless. And these are all tier-1 jobs, right here! :bassist:

6. my main problem with tube amps, apart me having to buy cabs that could withstand the head's power, is that they all cost about the same as my left kidney would sell for in the black market

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004

Big tube amps come in 300w, maybe 400w maximum. It's easy to find cabinets that can handle that kind of power. No problem at all for 200w amps.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

+1

To me the SVT/fridge, 70's towel bar variety is the only affordable tube amp worth bothering with in anything but a studio setting. I've tried hard a few times to recapture that feel in something that didn't weigh 100 lbs in the case. I'm over it ...

For me - an yes I realize that this won't apply to everyone else - the next best thing is an Eden WT-800 - no it isn't the same but it's damned good and has a vibe that is at least in the ball park while retaining clraity and punch at volumes well above what I could get with other non-SVT tube rigs.

The next tube amp I buy for bass anyway, will be a Fender Showman Amp - which is a fabulous recording device ... some folks dig the B-15 for it's thing. I prefer the Showman and a small box 2x12 loaded up with Altecs or JBL's ... that and an RE-20 ... and it will not leave the studio space...

What I use now when I want that is a BF Fender Princtone Reverb at low volume. I'm looking forward to taking it's speaker out into a soon to arrive U5 and see what that's all about ...

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    :cool: I use our guitarist's BF Princeton when we rehearse acoustically at his house.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021