Once you got your fretless, did fretted lose playing time?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Mar 30, 2005.

1. I got my fretless in July, and it's all I really play now. My fretted bass- a warmoth deluxe fiver- is great and arguably a better quality but I can't seem to force myself to play with speedbumps after the great freedom of intonation and manipulation of sound you have with fretless.

Anyone else find that once the fretless came (even after the honeymoon period) that going back to fretted just wasn't as fun?
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I didn't play anything but fretless after I ripped the frets off my first bass, mainly because i didn't have another bass and didn't have much of a choice. But once I had enough scratch I managed to keep a fretted bass on hand. At first i found it hard to switch back to frets, then found it easier but didn't feel the need. Now I pretty much go back and forth without a thought about it other than what is appropriate for the gig. I do also notice that the fretted took less concentration so it was a nice change-up.

Play what you enjoy playing.
  3. rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    . . . but then I got tired of the blizzard of sour notes, and the need to be concentrating and working so hard.

So someone got a great buy on a Yamaha fretless on ebay a few days later.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I got my first one last May. I didn't REALLY play it that much until late June. From then until about early September, I shedded the thing day and night and touched my fretted twice all summer. During first semester (September-January) I was in a music program at school where we had to have our instruments every day. I only brought the fretted twice, the entire time. Basically the only time I played it extensively since last June was during the Christmas break when I was working specifically on my fretted chops since they'd kinda died form playing fretless.

EDIT: For the "having to concentrate" issue -- if you shed it enough, then regular playing shouldn't require to focus so much on it. Now, Jaco-chops still do, and tapping does. After shedding all summer on fretless, tapping (which sounds BEAUTIFUL on fretless once you get past the initial intonation difficulties) is just a second thought. Also, I play lined.
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played only fretless for several years, but now that bass just sits in the closet. The feeling comes and goes, right now I'm not even a little interested in fretless, but I'm sure it'll come back around for me someday.
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I seem to rotate between what I'm working with and my mood. Some weeks I'll play fretless exclusively and other weeks I'll be working alot on slap stuff and use my fretted. All 3 of my basses get pretty equal rotations :) (The fretless gets the most jam session time though :p )