1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One 4-10 cab vs. Two -2-10 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Just wondering if there is much difference between these ?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I had been considering buying a single Acme Low B-4. Then I took my current amp (about the same size) to a jam session and had to haul it up and down a flight of stairs.

I immediately changed my mind and ordered a pair of Low B-2s instead. They just came yesterday, and after hefting them out of the shipping boxes, I'm glad I went for the pair of 2x10s instead of one 4x10. I won't say a Low B-2 is light, but it is definitely a whole lot easier to move around than a Low B-4 would be!

As long as you wire them up correctly, a pair of 2x10s will be every bit as efficient and loud as a single 4x10 - and more versatile.

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For sheer versatility purposes, I'd got for the 3 2x10s. You can leave one at practice place (if you do that), and have a home rig, and then couple them at shows, or at practice, and you'll never be out a good cab.

I'm more of a 410 guy myself, but thats because I was able to Eden cheap. :D

4. Could you couple together 3 2x10 Eden cabs using only one head or a poweramp? I mean, i know SWR you can daisy chain, but at least to the best of my knowledge, you can't with Eden, so could you power 3 cabs with one power amp or head?

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    3 8Ohm cabs add up to a total load of 2.67Ohms. If your amp can handle less than 4Ohms you are fine.

Matthias

6. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    With the Eden Metro combo, there are three speaker jacks and the amp is rated for 2 ohm operation. Thus, three 2x10s are possible with Eden.

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    With my 400S I could run four 8 ohm cabinets on each side.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Chucko, how are the Acmes sounding with your PB15 pre and your mondo wattage? A pair of B-2s does seem like the way to go.