One 4-10 cab vs. Two -2-10 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Just wondering if there is much difference between these ?
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I had been considering buying a single Acme Low B-4. Then I took my current amp (about the same size) to a jam session and had to haul it up and down a flight of stairs.

I immediately changed my mind and ordered a pair of Low B-2s instead. They just came yesterday, and after hefting them out of the shipping boxes, I'm glad I went for the pair of 2x10s instead of one 4x10. I won't say a Low B-2 is light, but it is definitely a whole lot easier to move around than a Low B-4 would be!

As long as you wire them up correctly, a pair of 2x10s will be every bit as efficient and loud as a single 4x10 - and more versatile.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For sheer versatility purposes, I'd got for the 3 2x10s. You can leave one at practice place (if you do that), and have a home rig, and then couple them at shows, or at practice, and you'll never be out a good cab.

I'm more of a 410 guy myself, but thats because I was able to Eden cheap. :D
  4. Could you couple together 3 2x10 Eden cabs using only one head or a poweramp? I mean, i know SWR you can daisy chain, but at least to the best of my knowledge, you can't with Eden, so could you power 3 cabs with one power amp or head?
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    3 8Ohm cabs add up to a total load of 2.67Ohms. If your amp can handle less than 4Ohms you are fine.

6. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    With the Eden Metro combo, there are three speaker jacks and the amp is rated for 2 ohm operation. Thus, three 2x10s are possible with Eden.
  7. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    With my 400S I could run four 8 ohm cabinets on each side.
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Chucko, how are the Acmes sounding with your PB15 pre and your mondo wattage? A pair of B-2s does seem like the way to go.