Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one 4X10 or two 2X10? feedback? ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by discoboo, Nov 9, 2003.

1. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    hello all. i have a question that needs your assistance in answersing. i currently play through a 2x10 and a 15, but the band i'm playing with now is more 4x10 appropriate (in my humble opinion.) since i already own the 2x10 cab, should i just get another 2x10...i was thinking of purchasing the avatar B210...thus giving me 2 separate cabs but the four speakers i desire. what do you all think? is there a diffence in sound between speakers in the same cab or do 4 10's sound like 4 10's no matter how they are enclosed? any feedback would be much appreciated. any thoughts on the avatar. it sure is affordable...thanks again...

2. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I have noticed that some of the 2x10 cabs have more than 50% of the cabinet volume (as in cubic feet) of the 4x10 of the same family. The result seems to be that the 2x10s will have a deeper frequency response - but 2 2x10s will typically be a slightly larger stack than the single 4x10.

If you already have a 2x10, why not pick up a second one that matches? Seems like that would be a very flexible setup in terms of transport, and would save a few bucks. One difference would be one vs. two tweeters - and if you turn one tweeter off will the two cabs still sound balanced - my solution would be to have both tweeters at an equal setting.

BTW, I have also noticed that some 6x10 and 8x10 cabs have separate compartments for each group of two drivers.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Get an Acme Low B2. All the cab anyone needs. If it can't fill the room, you're gonna have a PA that will and don't need more rig anyway. http://www.acmebass.com

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Right now one of my rigs is an Ampeg B4r through two SWR Goliath II Jr's (210 Cabs). I've been using this set up alot and really enjoy it. It seems to have more low end than any 410 I have owned. It's also very portable which is important to an old geezer like me. If I have to carry my rig up a flite of stairs, no problem. Also if I'm playing a smaller gig or practicing where I don't need 410's I can just grab one of the 210 cabs.