Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One 4x10 or Two 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phil_chew, Oct 26, 2000.

1. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Hi there. I would like some advice from you guys. Which sounds better - Two 2x10 cabs or one 4x10 cab, assuming there is not a lot of difference in terms of wattage?
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I can answer from some experience here. I used a combination of one or two 410's for several years, then replaced it with a pair of 210's. The two 210 rig is a bit more flexible to me than the 410, the biggest advantage to me is being able to get almost the same sound dispersion pattern of a pair of 410's by stacking the two 210's vertically. It takes up less stage space, and to my ear, sounds MUCH better than one 410, mainly because you can actually hear yourself (you have at least one speaker close to your ears, unlike a 410 on the floor pointed at your knees ;) ). The only drawback is your ohms load. Most 210's are 4 ohm cabs, and running two in parallel will place a 2 ohm load on your amp. If your amp isn't rated to run with that low of a load, you'll have some problems (MAJOR UNDERSTATEMENT). Another advantage is that you can always just bring one cab to smaller gigs, making your load-in/load-out that much easier, you get much more flexibility out of the two 210 setup than the one 410 one. Of course, the trade off is you have more stuff to carry.... :D

3. Yeah what Gard said.. Additionally you can run one off of each channel for a 4 ohm load per side. And I'd rather hump a pair of 210's than one 410.

By the way michaeln, how IS that Epifani 310 doin' fer ya? You had a chance to blast it yet?

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I dunno the answer but it seems like either would be thin sounding to me. Throw a couple 15s in for good measure.

5. I have an audition this Sunday, so I'll be taking that cab and leaving the T-212 at home.

6. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    asked this same question to the salesman at my local music store. the explanation was excellent. unfortunately, there is no way i could explain it like he did, buuutt, his name is marcus, and his work # is on this website

http://www.larrymorganmusic.com

i would just give you the #, on this post, but i dont know if thats legal or appropriate.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Au contraire, Brewmeister #9. I've been playing through nothing but 10's for years now, left the old 15's behind never looked back. Nice tight FULL earthshaking lows. My Peavey 210txf sounds better to me than any 15" I've ever heard. Now you get the wrong 210, and you may be sorry (say a Carvin....), but there are plenty of nice full sounding boxes out there sans 15" speakers.

8. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I play a 5 string. Will the 2x10 (assuming it is not a crap model) be able to handle the lows well enough?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it's ported for it, it'll play the notes below low E OK. Eden's D-210XLT does fine down there, although I do hear a little change in tone on the E and D. The C and B come back fine. I think it's just an effect of the resonant frequency of the cabinet.

Also, I read somewhere where vertically stacked speakers reinforce sound better than side-by-side speakers. It was a reliable source. Never tried it though.

10. Acme Low B2-IIs put out more bottom and handle the B string at up to moderately loud volumes better than any 15 I've ever used, including the Eden D-115XLT.

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Michaelin, I think you should take the T-212 to the audition instead of the T-310. ;) I've just improved my modularity (lydian, I think) by adding a 1x12 to my 2x12 rig, thereby having the option of 1, 2, or 3 12's. It's quite the little stack, and I really like the sound and performance of these 12's over 10's I've owned and tried. Good luck at the audition! (or is that break a string?)

12. Why am I not surprised by this? ;-)

Maybe I will. It's a traditional country thing, maybe the 12s would be nicer. I don't want to hump them both though, that'd be kind of overwhelming for an audition.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you should take a full stack.

14. Heh, I'm not even gonna take the Sadowsky. This gig is perfect for the P-Bass, so that's what I'm bringing.