1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One 4x12 or Two 2x12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Mar 7, 2008.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Just a simple question, no brand names, just want to know would you prefer one 4x12 cabinet, or two 2x12's? I been trying to mull around the pros and cons in my head but coming out even.

:help:

2. i'd go for the one. although that means youll always have to lug around the big thing, it won't really steal your ohms and such, incase you already have/will get another cabinet.

but if you dont plan on getting another cabinet, and have the money, get the 2x12 i suppose,

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how big is your car or truck???

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Forgot to mention I'm running a preamp/poweramp rack setup and the poweramp pushes 550W @ 4 ohms for BOTH sides so impedance isn't a problem at all...but I'd get a full 1400W if I bridge that into a single 4 ohm cab.

I drive a '92 F150 too. I'm also 6'5 255 lbs so size isn't much of a problem.

Both very good points though!

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    FWIW... I would go with two 2x12's, for a couple of reasons:

1. flexibility: when you play a gig where you don't need (or don't have room) for a big rig).
    2. size and weight: the 4x12 would be a beast to haul around.

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had to quit my Trace Elliot 1248H, as our relationship went all brokeback. Get two seperate cabs if you value your spine!

[Edit] You may be a big guy, but how good is your back? If your core stability is shot, then I stand by my advice. If you're a blackbelt in yoga or pilates, you'll probably be fine lifting it a few times a day :)

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Two 2x12's.

1. You could bring only one for smaller gigs.
    2. More stacking possibilities with 2 cabs. (Side by side, vert. & horiz., horiz. & horiz. and vert. & vert.). Vert. & vert. stacking is taller than a normal 4x12.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Two Schroeder 4x12s. They're the same size as most 2x12s.

9. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    if transportation is not an issue and if the places you gig at are big enough

4X12

10. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    one 412

more bass, with less effort, no 2 trips to the car etc

apparently the bigger the cab, the more natural bass it reproduces, meaning less time / power eq ing, at least this is what I have experienced

schroeder 412 R perhaps or L if you are into the light weight neo thing (sounds different tho IMO).
    sayin that I constantly look out for 412 cabs

11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Good knees, good back, work out pretty regularly, etc.

That's the thing though, I want the aesthetic appeal of having a lot of stuff behind me. I never bought in to the small cabinet/big sound deal (yet...I'm sure that will change when I'm 40).

If ya haven't noticed from my current gear, I'd be sticking with Aguilar anyways. I appreciate all the responses so far though!

12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Amen!!!

13. 2-412S
    ebay007.

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Someone gets it! LOL

I'm not 50 years old, I don't have a bad back, and doing a little work isn't a big deal for me. Just want to make it clear that I really dislike Schroeders, too. They sound weird and look weirder. :spit:

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    They look and sound better with Sunn grillecloth.

wallofdeafness.

16. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That Sunn stack looks amazing!

So, after everything was said and done, I have an Aguilar GS412 AND a GS212...which happens to be up for sale. Though I have entertained the idea of keeping it and stacking it on top of the 4x12 for 7 feet and 1800 watts of dirty, overdriven, fuzzed-out bass. Hmmn...