Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One ACME, or TWO Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Apr 20, 2005.

1. I was gonna get an ACME Low-B4. But for the same price I see I can get a Avatar B210 Pro to put over a B212. I realise ACME's are considered 'better' than the Avatars, but will these two cabs sound better than just the one ACME?

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, first question is, what sort of amp do you have? Acme's are damn power hungry things..

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No, though they may go louder. But a Low-B4 with 1500-2000W behind it is not a quiet rig by any means and will have much more top and bottom extension, clarity, resolution and accuracy than the Avatars. And more bottom full-stop.

Alex

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What is your primary concern, volume or tone? My vote would be ACME all the way!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what these guys said,

the Avatar's maybe marginally louder, but if you play a B string, and have plenty of power on hand, the B-4 is pretty darn satisfying.

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    It might seem like no biggie, but playing sub-E notes without any drop-off on Acme's is just plain delightful. You can play with much more subtlety and don't have to dig in. Trust me, play a bunch of shows with them and then switch to a back standard box and you'll realize how much you've been missing!
    Just make sure you have plenty o' power.

Lonnybass

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The B212 can handle the low-B for sure... but... I dunno if your gonna get the blatant satisfaction you can get from a B-4. A lot of it is preference I guess.

IF your doing a 5-string and your really concerned with tone, then do the Acme. If you wanna destroy places with volume... Avatar, I guess.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anybody used a Low B4 with an iAMP 800?

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, but I've used an iAmp 500 with a Low B-2. Good combination.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    On a similar level, I have powered two Low B-2's with my iAMP 800. Mmmm... mmmm... tasty!!! :bassist:

11. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    I wasn't impressed with acme that much. They were a little flat for my taste, but then again I love a thick punchy tone ... I would pick avatar until I could afford an Eden or something of the sort, but like someone said before ... it really depends a lot on your head and the bass you are using.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what he said. and yes, i get much "blatant satisfaction" from my Acmes. :smug:

yup,

that's my bread and butter big gig / outdoor amp, and geez louise, it sounds too darn good. :help:

set the low mids to about 2:00 @ 180 Hz, pull back the high mids a bit @ 880Hz, and up the highs to around 2:00 @ 8kHz, and prepare for some meatie fat thick hifi tone that'll slam in you right in the chest. :cool:

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea,

at first blush, acmes come across as rather bland. but if you know your way around an EQ, unlocking the acme sound is really worthwhile.

again, IMHO, the BEST amp for an acme user has to be the iAMP-800. plenty of power, and with an EQ section that does justice to the acme fatness.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So an iAMP 800 is plenty enough to drive the Low B4 to gigging volume?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes,

and if you need more volume, you probably dont have ears. :p

but seriously, the 800 watt iAMP pushes the acme to full body with ease. at first i was a little apprehensive, but holy schmoly, you HAVE to hear your low B with this combo.