1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One After 909: different approaches

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DannyShem, Sep 30, 2013.

1. DannyShem

DannyShem

Jan 31, 2013
    "One After 909" is a rock'n'roll Beatles song from the sixties that wasn't released until the 70's in a live version on the "Let It Be" album.

Here are two bass covers: the first based on the original 60's version, with the bassist adding some new elements. The second covers the later version of the song, and the bassist is following Paul McCartney pretty close.

I like both versions, but I am intrigued by the syncopation the bassist added to the earlier version. Any comments would be illuminating.

2. LordDog

LordDog

Jun 25, 2013
    Norwich UK
    Videos are both the same?

I find it hard to tell what he's doing without seeing his plucking hand, but I'm sure others will have more of an idea ;)

3. DannyShem

DannyShem

Jan 31, 2013
    My apologies, here is the later version:

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The first one is terrible in my opinion. That guy (playing with the early version) is adding flat 2 (flat 2 to 1) intervals that don't sound good at all in that style of music, and I'm REALLY glad he didn't play on the original!
    The second one is great. That guy actually spent the time learning the nuances of the walk ups and style that McCartney used in the later version.