Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one bad apple.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by robb., Sep 2, 2004.

1. so i got up for my morning run like usual. at 5:30am, i see maybe ten cars in the 3.6 miles i run, the majority (six) being in the last half-mile along that i run along one of the busier streets in town. meridian isn't very big.

but this street is a five-lane street -- two lanes in each direction and a left-turn lane. so i run on the extreme left of the street heading into traffic, so i can see the cars coming. some jackass in a pickup this morning decided that he had to prove to me that he owned the road. not only did he not move to the other lane like a polite and safe driver, he actually swerved a little towards me, putting me in great danger. what a dick.

at a svelte 230 pounds, i am still well less than a tenth of the weight of this truck, which is not to mention that i am made of flesh and bones, not steel. i think it should be pretty obvious to everyone that between me and even a small truck, the truck would win. i ain't ditka over here.

i'm still really angry at this dumb redneck for being such a dick.

robb.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    To bad you didn't get his plate. People lose all sense behind the wheel, it's amazing.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ever been the victim of a drive by while waiting for a bus?

I have.

Fortunately they were just paintballs but its damn scary looking down the barrel of a gun thats 5 feet away. You dont realize that its just a paintball gun when you hear the loud pops.

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Read the user agreement. Way to much swearing. This is a warning and a PM sent.

I'm extremely sorry for the immaturity. I'm embarassed & promise it'll never happen again

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Damn that sounds like a rough way to live.

6. Glad yer ok man. That guy should be hit with his own truck. Kharma has its way....

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah, that guy and his posse run this town. :rolleyes:

8. I really have an issue with dangerously rude and inconsiderate drivers, especially when it comes to bicyclists and runners/pedestrians. It's not like it's much of ANY effort to switch lanes or leave extra room for people on the side.

Sidebar, isn't this what happened to Stephen King?

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Agreed. Sometimes though in the past while driving I've almost bumped the car to my left avoiding a cyclist taking up WAY too much space, them actually being in the car lane itself.

10. I'm 100% always conscious and safety oriented and considerate of runners/ bicyclists when they are the same way of me.

BUT....

If a cyclist is needlessly in my lane, he better be doing the speed limit. :smug:

Of course we have to share the road, and I'm all for that, no problem, but they too have to act withing the rules of the road.

11. Ron,

Take the cowcatcher attachment off your grill. You WILL get busted with that one of these days.

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Good point. Has anybody seen these idiots riding in the middle of the road with a sidewalk right there beside them? Pisses me off!!! :mad:

13. No way! It's all blinged out, and looks bitchin on my Impala. :D

14. don't know how it's in the states, but over here you get a fine for cycling over the sidewalk

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Grrr, I hate it when that happens. I was out walking last night when a big dually pickup honks at me to stay clear and barrels around a corner. I looked at one of my neighbors who was standing in his yard, grinned and shrugged. My neighbor was obviously more bothered by it than I; he had a few choice words to share. Dang southerners and their big pickups... :scowl:

Glad that you're okay, rcz!

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know it's frustrating to get behind a bike on the road but the fact is that the law gives them the right to be there and the sidewalk is for pedestrians. I get just as frustrated as you but that's just how it is.

brad cook

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -that's fine, but they need to be over as far as possible. I get annoyed when the ride four abreast on a narrow road. Cyclists who do that should be sent to a penal colony.

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree about the four abreast thing, in cases where traveling single file is safe, but anytime a cyclist doesn't feel safe "sharing" the lane, the proper thing for him/her to do is to occupy the whole lane by moving to the center. Trust me, I've gotten stuck behind cyclists and felt my blood pressure rise... until I thought back to when I was an active cyclist trying to negotiate busy roads. I have had to take up a lane with cars stuck behind me plenty of times. It's different when the shoe's on the other side of the fence, y'know... ;) :D

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Four breasts and a penal colony?! We have standards here, dude!!

brad cook

20. Sounds like lunch break on a Ron Jeremy movie set...

I'm here all week folks. :D