1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Band (Evo or Diva)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    I checked the "...multiple band thread" and some posters got me thinking. Some said that "If you are in more than one band you aren't dedicated to that band" (So, yeah I checked the thread/post) Here is my thought/question.
    I play in two bands. One funk/original band, one cover/some original band. The funk band is comprised of musicians who are very dedicated, mad scientist, theory, practice your instrument for more than just "band stuff" guys. The other is practice at practice, everyone sings, for fun band. Both take live shows seriously.
    The thing is, the former band is like palyer's nirvana, and people really dig it. The other is more "background at the bar". Both have their high points.
    However, I have been wondering what it feels like to be in one band. It used to be a badge of honor to be a player many projects. But, now I'm starting to run into situations where different musical values are starting to be apparent. I have worked really hard, and I and will continue to try to grow and expand. I also realize that not everyone is on this path, and that's okay.
    Has anyone tried one band who used to be in multiple? How did you like it? Was it a welcome change, or did you like the "variety...spice of life" thing better?

2. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    tumblr_lq9excooxb1qio1cr_zpsfd753cc8.

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    How about Devo?

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You really have to have a good reason to be in multiple bands.It's for some and not for others.The variables are endless.

Me, I'm older and grew up in a one band culture. Me personally, I don't have the interest or what it takes to manage myself in multiple bands.

blue

5. Seems to me like you've got some questions there only you can answer. The exact same circumstance that's one person's "welcome change" could be another's "regrettable mistake" when they find that they're bored. One person's newly found time could be another's itch that needs scratching.

Again, it seems to me that if you're enjoying what you're doing and you have time for it, you have a no-brainer on your hands. If you're not digging something about one or the other to the point that you think you'd be better off quitting, then it's time to think about quitting for that reason...not for some philosophical ideals about "being in one band vs. more than one band," especially those that you picked up from something someone said in a forum post.

Musical values? Badge of honor? You completely lost me on those.

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Sort of, but it didn't last long. I started looking for more bands after a couple of months.

A lot of it is that I don't want to end up with nothing to do because one band falls apart or fires me or just slows down for a month or two. It seems like I'm always in at least one band that I don't much like because the singer is really good and I'm keeping it around as a security blanket.

Another thing is that there's always stuff I want to play that a particular band doesn't want to do. If I can do it with another band, I won't annoy the band that doesn't want to do it by insisting on it.

Finally, variety is good, too. Not just musical variety, either. With different bands doing different stuff, you can get into more venues, play for different audiences and so on. I'm in a cynical mood, so I'll say it's really mostly about the variety of girls who come to the shows.

7. Play in as many bands as you see fit. Period. If you're sitting around your house more then you'd like and feel like you need more musical outlets or opportunities, then join more then one band. If you can join a couple of bands and still give everyone the time that they need/want, then go for it. If you find yourself stretched too thin or if others are feeling like you're not pulling your weight with things like marketing or working on things on your own, then quit a band.

Typically, I'm in 2-3 bands. None of them are touring or are trying to 'make it.' One is usually a 'serious' band that is artistically fulfilling, puts effort into things like marketing and really getting things good and tight musically. The other(s) rarely if ever practice as a group, play simpler songs or covers close to the way they are on the record, and are the bands that actually have more paying gigs.

I'm personally in 3 right now. Two of them are cover bands that never rehearse, but play out pretty much every weekend, and we always get paid. The other is a newer, artsy band that does jazzy-ish versions of obscure songs that we like. We rehearse once a week, play out once a month or so, and only get paid about 1/2 the time. That keeps me busy, but I don't feel like I'm slighting any of the other bands.