1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One bass... for the rest OF YOUR LIFE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassanddrums, May 16, 2011.

1. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    You spent the cash you've been saving from the last few gigs you've played at to treat yourself to cruise. Unfortunately, disaster strikes, and your cruise ship has hit an extremely sturdy goldfish and sprung a leak.

After waking up on an island and exhausting all lifelines to get help, you've resigned to a life among the palm trees and monkeys. Luckily, a bass has washed up on shore with you (in perfect working order) and you decide to use it to the best of your ability. Fashioning an amp out of coconuts and creating electricity from making a monkey ride a bike while being goaded by a banana on a string, you fix yourself a nifty little stage and train the other monkeys to perform with you.

Being a character of many musical tastes, you have several monkey bands going on this island. One is a classic rock band, one is amazingly mellow, and one is a mathcore group that blends screaming, yodeling, and the occasional Bach shuffle.

What bass would allow you to have the right sound and feel for all these endeavors? Don't say P-bass! I completely understand its utility, but there must be other instruments out there that could function in just as many realms.

Have fun!

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    P bass :bag:

3. same here . . .

4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    I think bass would be the last thing on my mind. Sorry to spoil your thread. But just for fun, any jazz bass would be fine.

5. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Don't say P bass? ***? That's the only bass I play!

6. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    Y'all are no fun.

7. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    119-huge-bass.

8. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    G&L 2500 with the kmod pickups

9. A 6 string one.

With really thin strings.

:bag:

10. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    An Active Jazz Bass, The new Fender Am. Std. Jazz bases are very versatile (passive active switch) and could cop about any tone imaginable...including a P-Bass tone. I could also see a MM Sterling or Stingray pulling this off. I'm sure that there are many other types that could accomplish this feat in the hands of the right player. I agree that a P-bass would be last on my list for this particular task as it is not nearly as versatile.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    This^

A '54 P bass will be more than enough for me. I have a '51 that I absolutely love in every regards besides its slab body.

12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Definitely P-bass. :)

13. Warwick Infinity SN 5. I sold this bass because I just didn't need something that high end, but it's the finest instrument I've played.

14. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    Googled, drooled on keyboard, approved. I agree on the price tag though, Warwicks hit your wallet pretty dern hard.

15. ianrck

ianrck

Apr 26, 2011
    A '74-'75 Jazz Bass

16. Haha, good thing I can own more than one :D.

17. No you can't.

18. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Warwick $$ for me!

19. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I was going to say a '65 Jazz bass in LPB, but then I remembered the humidity issues on tropical islands, so switched my choice to the more stable blond '57 P.