1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One bass head to cover several basses and projects?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Clearly, as a long time member of TB, I'm a gear whore. To make matters even more interesting, I'm becoming a bit of a band whore as well :D

I own an Alleva Coppolo Jazz 4, an Alleva Coppolo KBP Precision 4 (on order), an FBass BN6 and a Stambaugh P/MM ash/maple 4. I'm playing in an alternate rock band that sounds a bit Death Cab For Cutie, a roots/reggae/funk band and it appears I may be joining a heavier rock project now as well.

So, I have basses that are 4-6 strings, ash-maple and alder-rosewood, active-passive and vintage-modern. It's all a bit silly I admit but alot of fun.

Now I'm thinking - If I could find one bass head, stable down to 2 ohms, that is versatile enough to cover anything I throw at it, I would be a happy man :) I'm not really a tube amp kind of player although I'm intruiged by the DB750 and even Genz Benz. I'm also eyeing Glockenklang and Thunderfunk. I'm not worried about the weight of the head. I use EA cabs and have a Wizzy 12 and an NM410. I tend to go for clean/quick amps and add pedals to get grit. I'm not worried about budget too much because I have a bunch of stuff I can sell to raise funds.

Any suggestions? Whats the most versatile high end bass head out there?

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    What about a GK 2001-RBII? (Or whatever the current model is)

I've always been impressed by them, and it could get you the exact sound you need for each of them.

3. Hey Mate,

If budget is no issue, I'd seriously look at the Glock Heart Rock. I find my self in a very similar situation where I need a very versatile setup and with my Berg AE410 and Glock Heart Rock I basically cover any playing situation required. My sound is very versatile. This amp is very clean, extremely quick, and has a certain character to it which makes the notes sound very 3D which I have never been able to achieve using any SS amp before. The weight is no issue at all for me - very easy to move around. The Eq'ing is very good and responsive and I find the EQ' points of each control to be perfectly centered at the right frequencys. This amp can also give you a nice almost tube like warmth and growl when you drive the preamp a little harder. Pretty good for an SS amp. It is also very solidly built - the best I've seen and for the money I doubt there's anything better. Anyway combined with the Berg I'm extremely happy and find that I have a very easy to use and extremely verstile setup.
    The funny thing is I always regarded Glockenklang up there with the very high-end i.e. DB750, EdenWT800, etc, but when I saw the price here in Australia I said WOW! what an opportunity.
    Anyway good luck in your search.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can play any kind of music on any amp IMHO. As long as you're getting a sound you like and it has enough power to cut the gig, it's all good.

5. joelyb

joelyb

Feb 1, 2007
    sydney australia
    I would Recommend A DB750.

I get called to play lots of different styles of music in different situations and not once have i not been able to pull an appropriate killer tone out of my DB750.

Massive headroom, goes down to 2 ohms (975watts RMS @ 2Ω), looks awesome and reliable.

I know that if mine got stolen/damaged etc i wouldnt hesitate to go buy another one straight away

JMO

jb

6. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    I own an ampeg svt 5 pro. The thing is a swiss army knife in my opinion. It will put out like 1350watts @ 2ohm. It has a clean and an overdrive channel or combine the two, built in octave, compressor, adjustable crossover for biamping, the list goes on. The back of it has a plethora of jacks for running just about any combination of cabs you want. Oh yeah and it has sweet tone. They are discontinued and are sort of hard to find though...

7. If I was you I would just get an iAMP800 to go with your NM410 and add a NL210. This would give you a very powerful and versatile set-up and basically cover any type of playing situation. A 610 configuration for those big loud gigs or a 210 cab for the smaller more intimate gigs.

The iamps sound great with the EA cabs and with the basses you have, an all EA rig will let your basses true voices shine through. The iamp800 has plenty of power and is stable down to 2 ohms.

I also have an Eden WT800 and whilst it is powerful it just gets in the way of my instruments tone. Too much of it's own thing, which some people like but I rather have a clean, transparent amp which will let me tweak my tone the way I want it.

Genz Benz, is also an option worth looking into for the money. Plenty of amp for the price.

The DB750, I wouldn't be forking out AU$5000 approx for an amp which a lot users say needs a tube change to help tighten the bottom end up, unless you are looking to import one, which is still a lot of hassle.

The TFunk is not stable down to 2 ohms if that is necessary. Don't know much about the Glock but for the money I definitely would be looking at it. From all accounts and my reading on this forum, Glockenklang amps and cabs have a bass tone which is hard to ignore.

Good Luck!

8. Thanks for the tips guys. It sounds like a couple of you are big fans of Bass Gear Direct. I'm one too. George is a top bloke who is running one of the first businesses to ever make boutique bass gear available in Oz at reasonable prices.

I currently use an EA iamp500 combo as my main amp. It's transparent, quick, clear and powerful. Heres the thing -

AC Jazz - the iAmp sings

FBass - the iAmp sounds crisp and beautiful

Stambaugh - The minute I turn this bass to Precision tones and play with a drummer, it sounds really boxy and hollow. I've EQ'ed and EQ'ed but it just seems that the transparency works against me for P Bass - Which is disturbing because I have an AC P Bass on the way that will be my number one gigging bass.

I even went on to basstasters (the website still exisits) and listened there to see if I was going mad. Sure enough - P Bass sounds average on there with the iAmp too.

This is all just my opinion but, to my ears, a P Bass wants a bit of grit and colour. The Genz Benz smokes the iAMP for PBass tone on basstasters. I'm therefore thinking I will keep the iAmp for my roots stuff and splash out on a Genz Benz GBE1200 for rock. The other alternative was to sell the iAmp and spend all dough on a Glockenklang. I'm thinking the iAmp does everything I originally expected from it and it is so portable and handy. I'll just get something with a bit of intentional colour to cover the rest.

9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    800w at 2 ohms. Discontinued, cheap used, built like a brick.

[​IMG]

10. nobodys mentioned the LMII?

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Stable at 2 ohms?

12. ahhh...
    no wonder then.

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I just went through search for something similar. I'd been using a Stewart World 1.6 Power Amp into 2 4ohm 2x10 Avatar cabs which runs the Stewart at 4ohms.

I initially planned to wait for a Ashdown Little Giant which has two 4 ohm jacks that are independent rather then running at 2ohm. But, that new amp is a unknown commodity at this point which makes me nervous and there's been some thinking as to whether it is just a reworked SuperFly.

I ended going with a GenzBenz NeoPak which is 8lbs rather then the 16lbs of my Stewart + Rack, etc. The newer models can handle 2ohms 500w, and older ones can get a free mod from GenzBenz to do it if I recall correctly.

Thusfar I'm VERY happy with the NeoPak. It seems to be able to do whatever I want it to do. It is fairly modern by nature, but there's multiple ways to tone it down.

Over all I've been immensely please with the clean sound and nature of the GenzBenz. The low weight is great also, but thats not one of your concerns.

Hope that may help.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Thunderfunk 750 is rated for 2 ohms...

Carvin B1500?

You could also go the pre/power direction.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am a bit surprised at this.... although tone is a very personal thing. I play a P bass with flats through an iAMP500C as my main gigging amp.

I always have the combo off the floor, either on an extension wizzy or a chair or a box.

For eq I tend to run flat. If I get any boominess (maybe what you called boxy and hollow ?) I cut the bass. What works for me, and there may be better ways, is to put the low slider as low as it will go and cut a *lot*, -10dB to -15dB.

You might want to try that before buying a new rig. Although buying a new rig is fun too :D

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    If I were in your boat, I would probably play the setup that I am currently playing! :)

I have a Thunderfunk TB550-B. The thing is built like a tank and is an EXCELLENT sounding SS amplifier. It's very usable on it's own for a variety of applications.

But, I was raised on Ampeg, so my ears still occasionally want that tubish, more old-school tone. So, I added a Sansamp RBI to my rack and ran it through the effects loop. Now with the push of the button, I have a TOTALLY different amp available to me. Both sound great, but they are night and day different.

The RBI is an outstanding piece of equipment. It really does emulate a warm, tube-like tone when dialed in in moderation. And, with it in the effects loop, it is very easy to switch in and out even with a footswitch. I have mine in the pre-EQ loop, so I even preserve the nice EQ shelving of the T'Funk.

I say sub the 750 in for the 2-ohm stability and extra juice and you are set with a master tone chameleon.

17. Thanks for this. I was always using roundwounds and must admit, a recent change to flats has made a huge difference. I think you are spot on regarding the "boom" tones I get. I can't complain about the combo - it is the best I have ever owned by a long shot.

I'm still probably thinking a "rock" head is on the cards. GAS and all of that :D

18. Just a comment on the Thunderfunk heads. If I were collating all of the posts I had read and had to name the highest rated heads on TB, they would have to be Thunderfunk. I am very keen to check them out.

I'm just thinking that, if I'm keeping the iAMP, i already have a clean quick clear amp. I wonder if the Thunderfunk would make that amp redundant? I have the same feeling with the Glockenklang.