1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One bass or the other...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveBass, Nov 29, 2006.

1. GrooveBass

GrooveBass

Oct 10, 2004
    Iowa
    Hey, I've had the same bass for 5 years, and it's been my only bass. I think it's time I started seeing other basses. The band I play with is a rock band, no doubt about that, so I'm looking for a grinding sound that I can go off of. Whether or not it's especially versitile isn't all that important. With that in mind, I have it down to two basses that I think would do the job: the Malden Motorbass and Washburn Taurus. I'm open to other ideas, but I won't get a Fender because my Dad's giving me a 69 P and a 73 J soon, so other than that, it's open season on basses.

One vital tidbit, pricerange:) free-500

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Could you tell us what you have now, so we don't suggest something you already have?

4, 5, 6 string? Help us out.

Since you're getting a Fender, I say get a Rickenbacker.

3. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    You're getting a 69 P and a 73 J, but you want something else for rock?! :p

Those sound like all I would need, unless you go for a more modern boutique sound, which would be pretty expensive.

4. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ah, Rick is a good recommendation, Blackbird. Why didn't I think of that...seeing as I love Royston Landgdon of Spacehog/Tender Trio. :smug:

5. I think its good that you're keeping your options open. I personally wouldnt pick either of the basses you have listed. I like the Schecter Stiletto Custom, a MTD Kingston/Heir (musicians friend is clearancing these out currently) or a used Musicman SUB.

Being as you're getting 2 Fenders, you'll likely get different tines from both the MTD and SUB as they use MM style pups.

ymmv