One bass player who made some money on his bass skills.....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nicklas, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    Paul McCartney made the top of a rich list compiled by "People" magazine after receiving £65million ($104 million) from album sales and tour receipts and another £55million ($88 million) earned from publishing royalties - a total of $192 million (£120 million).

Sir Paul's total fortune was estimated at more than $1billion (£620million) by "People." He also came top of a recent rich list of UK performers in "Heat magazine."

Million-seller "Driving Rain," his last studio album, was released in November 2001 and he went on a 53-date US tour. Tickets for the gigs cost an average of $130 (£81), and he released a 35-track live album that has sold more than one million copies in the US.

His 2003 looks set to be equally busy, with a European tour and a £60 ($96) Beatles DVD featuring rare footage of McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr playing together in 1994 set to be popular among fans.

2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, he's made a heck of lot of money - but largely for his singing/songwriting, rather than his bass skills, I would say.
  3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

Actually, in the 60's, I'd say it was mostly for his looks. The early Beatle fan base was made up of teenage girls who could care less about the music. But, of course, later on his wonderful talents were praised.
  4. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, Moley, the songwriter always makes more than the bass player. It was a pretty good idea of him to do both so well, though. By the way, that album in your signature, the only Billy Joel album that doesn't make me want to cut my own head off, very cool Beatles references on there. It's almost like Billy Joel's "Imperial Bedroom" or something- you know, the Elvis C. album produced by Geoff Emerick? OK, I'm rambling now.
  5. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Paul definately has great bass skills, that's for sure. (IMO?)
  6. Actually, I'd say it was the first 2-3 years the Beatles we're popular.

Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, The White Album and Abbey Road all came out in the 60's. I think Paul had pretty much overcome the 'pretty boy' thing by the time those albums came out.
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Nah, I don't think it was mostly his looks. They weren't buying the records just for his looks, they did care about the music.

lol. I agree, "The Nylon Curtain" is his masterpiece, and "Laura" in particular is very Lennonesque. But I don't understand why Billy Joel has such a bad rap. I think he was a great singer and great songwriter, and all those mid/late 70s & early 80s albums were really great: "Turnstiles", "The Stranger", "52nd Street", "Glass Houses".

Do people just judge him on things like "Uptown Girl"?

He did lots of really good songs, IMHO, that weren't even released as singles.
  8. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm sure you're right (about Billy Joel), and I've heard some of his more adventurous early stuff, but he drives me nuts. I know all about the Hassles and his nefarious garage band past, but to me he's just a sensitive mama's boy from Long Island. I have no problem with him as singer- songwriter like Jackson Brown or Gilbert O' Sullivan or some other beret-wearing sensitive boy, but he always presents himself as being a rocker and I've never been able to believe it. He's always the first geezer up to the podium at the rock and roll hall of fame and acts all smug and I just want to scream "get ye to a smoky club" or buy him an AC/DC album. It's like when my parents' friends say things like "Oh, you like rock, how about that Jimmy Buffet? You like him?" It's that sort of feeling where you'd like to vomit while answering.

Interestingly enough, I don't dislike him for "Uptown Girl" because it was such an amazing replication of the Four Seasons and I thought it was a lot more honest about where he's really coming from.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well I don't really see image as having anything to do with it (though, I do dig the sneakers-and-tie thing), I just love his music.