1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Bass Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrush, Mar 13, 2010.

1. I've been playing guitar for longer than I'd care to remember. I played bass on a few (paying, actually) gigs in college, but that's been a long time ago. For those I borrowed a friend's Peavey T-40.

I'd like to buy a bass now as many of the church, worship, etc. opportunities where I play would be better served by adding a bass rather than another guitar. I've been lurking in the FS board here for many weeks and finally registered.

I had two questions: 1. What bass? I realize that the advice I'm likely to receive is to go out and play as many as I can and see what feels/sounds best to me. Living in an extremely rural area, my opportunities to play are limited to trips into a larger city (i.e., Memphis). Any hints or helps that would speed my decision making once I make that trip?

2. I like guitars with larger necks as they help me with cramping issues playing over longer periods of time. Would that hold true with basses (i.e., larger P-bass necks be more ergonomic than smaller J-bass necks)?

2. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Stock answer #1: Fender Precision. Your choice of flavor and price.

Stock answer #2: Used is a better value for money.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say Fender J-bass, but you might not like the neck. If you decide on a P-bass, get one with P/J pickups for the versatility. I just saw a Mexican one at GC yesterday. Also, consider a 5-string. God loves those really low notes.

4. Oh, gee. I just discovered the FAQ section: Advice on buying. Do we (noobie guitar player converts) wear you guys out about this, or what? Sorry about that.

5. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    the lord does love the B! and it stops the organist/keyboardist from trumping your sonic space for those lows. i too would suggest an Active Jazz 5 string bass as well. if you dig the P i suggest the Precision Deluxe series

6. Another +1 to the Precision. You can't go wrong with a P-Bass, no matter what anyone may say. Excellent instruments. Check out the Christian Praise and Worship Bassists club for some awesome advice, as you said you'll be playing in church. Best of luck!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629065

7. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    its all good! the title of this thread is what is the best bass for_______ kinda saves your butt from the from the ensuing "use the search function " lashin :p ;)

8. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Lakland 44-02 or 55-02 if you want the B.

9. Believe it or not, there IS a Lakland dealer within 20 minutes (Memphis is an hour and a half). They are a small shop and don't carry a huge inventory, but can order anything. I was in last year some time and played my first Skylines and was blown away (granted, what do I know about a bass?). I played a 44-01 (with Bartolini soapbars) and something in a J configuration. The 44-01 sounded better, but I like the more traditional looks of the J. I need to go over and check them out again. Maybe by now they've got some used stuff. ;)

BTW: they also had a pre-Ernie Ball MM Stingray that the owner was going on and on about. It was way out of my price range, but a cool bass to be sure.

10. marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    My response above was half tongue-in-cheek. One can only answer this type of very general query with a very general answer. Stating budget would go a long way to understanding the OPs circumstances.

11. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    A high end Ibanez BTB675 would do the trick. It's not a whole lotta money, comfortable, and would be really hard to grow out of. Not to mention the right color and finish is really gonna make people say, "wow". I'm looking at buying one myself because that is one of the most solid six strings for the money...and even neck through.

12. The tongue-in-cheek was not lost on me. :) (and what led me to look for and find the (really huge) FAQ section).

Ideally, I'd like to spend somewhere between $600 and $1,000 on a first bass. I really liked the AmStd P-Bass that sold here yesterday morning. My PM was seconds late (and I can understand if it weren't late, a "who is THIS guy" kind of response).

As for five (or six) strings, I was really thinking a four string would be my best bet as it might seem pretentious of me showing up to play, knowing next to nothing about playing, but with what I'd consider a more 'advanced' bass.

13. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    There you go! There is also used ones here from time to time. 44-02 will be the most versatile, but I love me some J basses!

14. Precision basses are all the rage these days. You'll love it.

15. I'm there with you - someone posted this video earlier this morning in response to a thread along the lines of 'all basses sound alike.' I first thought a 4-94 would be great - then I looked at the price: definitely out of my range. But the 44-02 (same LH3 system) seems right in there - especially if I can find one used.

16. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    +1

The only hitch with most of the stock offerings from both Fender and Squier is that the P+J combinations will almost always come with a Jazz-width neck. This is true of the Jazz Specials (some of which, oddly enough, have a P Bass body) and most of the Precision Specials

Still worth trying it out if you can find one locally. I prefer the same sort of chunky necks for guitars and the Jazz width neck on my MIJ Jazz Special suits me just fine

FWIW the recent Squiers that I've played have been outstanding dollar values. There is a current-production Squier Precision Special with a street price of ~ $300 that might fill the bill if you're OK with the Jazz width neck (see what I mean....)

At the other end of the $ scale would be a Tony Franklin Fretted sig model, new at ~ $1700. This is one of the few that does have a true P Bass width neck, if I'm not mistaken

Also FWIW the Japanese Fenders (MIJ and CIJ) sacrifice absolutely nothing in quality and/or playability to the MIA Fenders, and are considerably cheaper on the used market

17. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    +1 on p-basses - they rock. and the p/j is great for versatility.

regarding neck width, thick (a la p-bass) necks are great, but pretty much any bass neck will seem thick compared to guitar. i love real chunky necks on my guitars, but i play mostly jazz bass necks.

18. marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    You have a lot of options in that price range both new and used.

Maybe a new '51 Precision single coil or a used American Standard or Vintage Precision split coil? Or a new Duff McKagan for a P/J? All passive.

Lakland would be a great active choice used. No one has mentioned Spector yet (curveball) so I might add I like mine a great deal for another choice in active basses.

It's often been said in these pages that a lot of players prefer active basses for live gigging and passive ones for recording. But having only passive instruments before active ones became practical didn't seem to be much of a debit to the thousands of performers of the '60s and '70s.

Enjoy the hunt.

19. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    A Squier Vintage Modified anything........

20. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    A used USA Peavey Cirrus 5 would be within your budget. If you don't mind the 35"scale that is. I bought one specifically for use in church.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020