1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One bass rig forever

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Sep 26, 2008.

1. What would it be? It would have to cover any situation. Not including efx. Just amps and cabs.

I guess I would choose a tube head, maybe a Sunn 300T or Mesa 400+ with a berg NV 2-15 and 6-10. That should be loud enough for anything, right? Any better suggestions?

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's kind of pointless to me. I'd be happy with an efficient 2x12 and ~500 watts. If I needed more I'd borrow or rent. Even if money was no object I don't really have any desire to own a huge rig for that day that I finally get my shot at Shea Stadium. I nice rig that can keep up with the drummer for 95% of the gigs I do is enough.

I'm in the market for a 2x12 - the two front runners are Genz Benz NeoX 212T and Dr. Bass 2460D, both four ohms. My amp is a Shuttle 6.0, my old trusted stand by is an AMP BH-420 and I have no plans to upgrade those. I also have an old Traynor Mark II tube head which is 80 - 100 watts and covers me for any time I want a tube amp.

When I get one of the cabs I'm looking at my shopping days are officially over. Sorry if this post takes the fun out of the thread.

KO

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My 1x10 combo covers all my needs. If I need more, it's called a PA.

4. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    The Bergantino IP112 killed my need for another rig. It's my main rig at this point for live work. If you need louder, get the EX112 and you get 1000 watts :)

5. ^ Kudos, but I can't see bringing only a 1x10 to even my smallest gig. Sometimes you just need to push some air, even in a small room, at low volume. Plus, even with a PA, you need a stage mix. Again, I'm glad it works for you, though.

For 10 years I had what I thought was my ultimate rig - Alembic tube pre, Crown power, and two 2x10 Eden cabs. Now, I'm even happier with the Epi stuff. I don't see myself looking for anything different, but when this stuff fails over time I imagine there may be similar leaps and improvements like I found when my Crown gave up.

6. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    i think the ultimate once-for-all-time bass rig would be to have a 1/4" jack installed cranially for a direct bass-to-brain connection. i would then plug in a P-bass with flats

no need for anything more

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :D :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

7. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Probably my current rig that's almost done (should be here any week now).

Mesa Vintage Powerhouse 810
    Mesa Titan

Has enough watts to get me plenty of clean volume, but can nail any warm round sound too.

If this thread really meant in the true sense of "forever" probably a 410 instead of an 810, but for the next 30 or so years I think I'll manage the 810 just fine.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    one might consider buying a vintage ampeg SVT with its 810 cab and be done with it. (it works for me).

2 cents............

9. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Probably an Accugroove Whappo Jr. & the Synergy head when it comes out.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I've got my Carvin R1000 with a 4x10. I might at some point add a 15, but I'm pretty much set.

11. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    My Trace Elliot Rig:

Trace Elliot V-Type head
    Trace Elliot 2x10
    Trace Elliot 1x15 compact

Done.

12. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I am darn close to having all I need w/ my B600 head and B810 - I have a smaller rig also - b200 combo - I have an arsonal of pedals now.
    But I will keep buying basses - I am an adict...

13. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    While an 8x10 cab is cool, I think I would go the more flexible route. Something like a Hartke 2500 or 3500 head with a 2x10 Hartke Transporter and a 1x15 Hartke VX. It's easy on power, easy to transport, and provides 3 different cab possibilities with both aluminum and paper cone. I used Hartke because that is what I prefer, but you could cobble something like this together with any brands for varied amounts of money.

14. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Right now I'd say give me four Avatar 212s and two LMIIs. 500 watts RMS per stack of two cabs, one stack clean / one stack dirty. I'd be happy.

I'd follow that by taking donations for the vehicle to haul it.

-Mark

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My LMII and two Epi UL115s would be very nice. I can only fit one UL115 in my car so right now I use a UL112 instead of the second UL115.

16. I'm still waiting for the 1000 watt, tube pre, 3 band para mid EQ, on-board amp..

17. I would love to have a GK 700RB for sure - on top of (not sure?) a DR Bass 112 & 115 / Trace 1028 & 1818 / Epifani PS112 & PS115 cabs?

18. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The Aguilar DB750 is the best all-round head I've used. The DB728 (all tube) is better for rock and anything where the bass needs a lot of "bite", but the 750 is better for funk and slap, and can hold its own in just about any genre.

As far as a cab, The trusty Ampeg 810 is good for just about anything, but I'm all about the 12's so for me it would be an Aguilar 412.

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Hmm.

At this point, based on all of the big and small rigs I've had the chance to try...

GK Fusion 550 + GK Neo 412.

[drool]

But I have no way to transport a 4x12 cab reasonably... yet. :crying: