1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One bass store in NYC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BBMS, Apr 3, 2009.

1. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Which guitar store in New York City (near Times Square, etc) would you recommend to visit for bass gear? Thanks! MY

2. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Rudy's music

3. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Sadowsky

4. Jamie Bishop

Jamie Bishop Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Laney Amplication
    Rudy's on W. 48th street. Right near Times sq.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Rudy's ftw!

Fail.
    Brooklyn != Times Square.
    Roger hasn't been on Broadway in years.

6. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
  7. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ludlow is awesome. Right down the st from Arlene's Grocery, too.

8. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bass room at Rudy's is awesome. I was just there a month ago. Some great vintage and modern basses, plus no one bugs you.

9. just was out prowling last weekend...

in that area?

Rudy's has a great mix, could spend a lot of time in there .. old fenders and new hi-fi stuff

Manny's has some decent new fenders and has a few Sadowsky metros

Best for vintage right now is 30th Street Guitars -- has a lot of old fenders and some other old rarities, guild, stingrays, gibson

10. eh .... i don't know if its worth the trip down from Times Square-- they have a couple cool things here and there but typically sell newer gretsch and mia, mim and squire fenders. they've had the same 4 "vintage" basses for over a year now.

11. jmela

jmela

Jul 24, 2007

12. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    In Greenwich Village you'll find a music shop called Matt Umanov's. It's where I always go to try n' buy.

Exact address is 273 Bleecker St. NY, NY 10014. Give them a ring @ (212) 675-2157.

Not exactly on Times Square, but nearby.

13. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    One.

14. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    Rudy's is my first stop, but also have seen/played contenders at 30th Street Guitars which is closer to Times Square than Matt Umanov's. If you had limited time, you might be able to do both Rudy's and 30th Street. Umanov's is a few stops on the subway downtown. NONE of the other stores on 48th will have anything that you cannot easily find at a GC near you, in my experience.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Best place anywhere near NY to see lots of different kinds of basses is this place here which I'm kinda surprised nobody seems to have agreed with me on yet. Trust me, take the extra hike to Jersey. I've been to the city countless times, and nothing beats this here for variety:

http://www.newjerseyguitarandbasscenter.com/BassMultiString.html

You can check out some of their stock online. They usually have more in the store, new and used, and they sometimes have awesome prices. I've haggled with the guy the also and got some killer deals. Brand new MM sterling about 10 years ago for under $1000. I had 4 to choose from also, and sat there for about 2 hours seeing which one called to me most.

16. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    +1
    Also Manny's

I work in Rockefeller Center and I wander down 48th St at lunchtime. All of the guitars and basses are locked to the hangers now because a team of theives was stealing them from the stores there :mad: so you have to ask to handle them. Nice guys tho, and they don't mind getting them down.

17. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Looks like it's Rudys, Manny's and Umanov's. I wanted to see something I normally don't see at a local store or GC. Mark

18. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Don't forget to stop by across the street at John's of Bleecker Street for some great pizza!

I was just in NYC for a visit and I stopped by both. Matt Umanov's is a pretty nice store. The selection isn't too big, but it's a nice selection nonetheless.

19. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If you want to go Mannys, better do it soon. Manny is closing for good in the very near future according to an article in the Times recently.

20. rottenramone

rottenramone

Dec 11, 2003
    basswise i recommend 30th street, good mix of vintagey stuff. i saw a 60s LPB jazz at 1600. but it could be a replica.

the guitar center is pretty cool as well.