1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One Bass, two Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaPhotoGuy, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. DaPhotoGuy


    Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    If I want to run my Bass through two amps at the same time (and the amps only have a 1/4" instrument input jack) is there some sort of 1/4" splitter I need to get. I was thinking of just getting a Y splitter from Radio Shack but I read something that made me think this isn't the best way to go. :confused:

    Edited to add: Any links to products that would solve my problem would be appreciated. ;)
  2. Jack


    Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    What did you read?

    In order of price:

    Y splitter cord
    A/B Box (some have built in nosie gates etc)
    Rackmounted audio splitter

  3. DaPhotoGuy


    Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    What I had read was that by only using a Y splitter cord that it is possible that one amp could draw almost all the signal leaving next to nothing for the other amp.
  4. xyllion

    xyllion Commercial User

    Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you have an active bass, then a Y splitter will work just fine. If you have a passive bass, it will work, but the sound might not be to your liking. If you are using a passive bass, then it would be best to use some sort of preamp or DI box before the Y cable.
  5. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what two amps are you planning on using? does either of them have a tuner output? Most times the tuner output is only mildly affected by the amp, (sometimes not at all). many times i've taken a line out of the tumer output of amp # 1 and run it straight into the input of amp # 2

    another option if you're just looking for more power/volume and you dont care about using the tone of both amps is totake the effects send of amp #1 and plug it into the effects return of amp #2. Some amps have a hotter send than others, so you may want to try it both ways. If only one amp has an effects loop or line out you can always lug that into the input of the second amp and keep the gain on amp #2 way down. There's always a way.
  6. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sell two amps, buy one good amp . . . problem solved. :ninja:
  7. Does one of them have double input jacks? If so, those are usually paralleled internally, so you can just run a cable between them. It’s electrically the same as using a splitter.

    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  8. DaPhotoGuy


    Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    It's a passive bass. Any suggestions for the preamp or DI box?
  9. DaPhotoGuy


    Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    Nope. Only one input. :(
  10. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if all those amps have are one front input a peice and outputs you'll be best off with an a/b/y pedal (that's an a/b pedal that lets you run to both amps at the same time). Get a cheap one. Only because if your amps are as limited as you say they are they probably arent so hi-fi that they need the most expensive a/b/y box out there.
  11. DaPhotoGuy


    Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    I wanted some effects anyway, so . . .

    <a href = "http://www.digitech.com/products/bp50.htm">My Solution</a>
  12. There’s really no reason to get a switchbox. It’s the electrical equivalent of a “y”. Just get a “y” with a single male to two females and plug it into the first amp. Plug the guitar into one end of it, and run a cable from the other end of the “y” to the second amp.

    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  13. duncbass


    Dec 28, 2003
    What are the two amps?

    BadExample likes this.
  14. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you are so correct sir...........i'm ticked i didn't think of that........ :meh:
  15. Mcrelly


    Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have used one of THESE Rolls passive 1:4 1/4" mixer. If you just use a radioshack splitter you might get some funky electrical cross talk between amps which could prove harmfull to one or both amps. thats been my experienc, at least it did sound a little funky. you can use the mixer to split an output OR put multiply inputs into ONE output. resistor values of the mixer to lower the signal strength a little , but the flexibility is nice.
  16. nysbob


    Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Your stereo effects out will work fine - I've been doing that for years through a Boss SE-50. You'll have to check your patches though - some will chorus just one side and pass a straight signal to the other. Personally, I like that, but I'm sure you've got your own preferences... ;)
  17. Oly Spart

    Oly Spart

    May 20, 2015
    I have tried the tuner output solution after i read this thread and it works really good. But you have to control both amp level as the main amp does not affect the tuner output volume.
    I will try the stereo pedal later as it may be a very interesting solution as i'm using a Boss DT 100 and I will be able to create 2 separate lines, one for each amp, controling what I sent to each one, eq etc... ;-)
    Thanks for all the good advices.
  18. Basshappi


    Feb 12, 2007
  19. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

    Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why are you whispering? I could barely understand your post! :)

    Dang! yet another zombie thread catches out the poor old Bassman!!! :mad: