Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Bass, two Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaPhotoGuy, Oct 13, 2004.

1. DaPhotoGuy

DaPhotoGuy

Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    If I want to run my Bass through two amps at the same time (and the amps only have a 1/4" instrument input jack) is there some sort of 1/4" splitter I need to get. I was thinking of just getting a Y splitter from Radio Shack but I read something that made me think this isn't the best way to go. :confused:

Edited to add: Any links to products that would solve my problem would be appreciated. ;)

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    What did you read?

In order of price:

Y splitter cord
    A/B Box (some have built in nosie gates etc)
    Rackmounted audio splitter

HTH
    jack

3. DaPhotoGuy

DaPhotoGuy

Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    What I had read was that by only using a Y splitter cord that it is possible that one amp could draw almost all the signal leaving next to nothing for the other amp.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you have an active bass, then a Y splitter will work just fine. If you have a passive bass, it will work, but the sound might not be to your liking. If you are using a passive bass, then it would be best to use some sort of preamp or DI box before the Y cable.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what two amps are you planning on using? does either of them have a tuner output? Most times the tuner output is only mildly affected by the amp, (sometimes not at all). many times i've taken a line out of the tumer output of amp # 1 and run it straight into the input of amp # 2

another option if you're just looking for more power/volume and you dont care about using the tone of both amps is totake the effects send of amp #1 and plug it into the effects return of amp #2. Some amps have a hotter send than others, so you may want to try it both ways. If only one amp has an effects loop or line out you can always lug that into the input of the second amp and keep the gain on amp #2 way down. There's always a way.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sell two amps, buy one good amp . . . problem solved. :ninja:

7. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    Does one of them have double input jacks? If so, those are usually paralleled internally, so you can just run a cable between them. It’s electrically the same as using a splitter.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. DaPhotoGuy

DaPhotoGuy

Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    It's a passive bass. Any suggestions for the preamp or DI box?

9. DaPhotoGuy

DaPhotoGuy

Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    Nope. Only one input. :(

10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if all those amps have are one front input a peice and outputs you'll be best off with an a/b/y pedal (that's an a/b pedal that lets you run to both amps at the same time). Get a cheap one. Only because if your amps are as limited as you say they are they probably arent so hi-fi that they need the most expensive a/b/y box out there.

11. DaPhotoGuy

DaPhotoGuy

Jun 15, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    I wanted some effects anyway, so . . .

<a href = "http://www.digitech.com/products/bp50.htm">My Solution</a>

12. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    There’s really no reason to get a switchbox. It’s the electrical equivalent of a “y”. Just get a “y” with a single male to two females and plug it into the first amp. Plug the guitar into one end of it, and run a cable from the other end of the “y” to the second amp.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    What are the two amps?

dunc

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you are so correct sir...........i'm ticked i didn't think of that........ :meh:

15. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have used one of THESE Rolls passive 1:4 1/4" mixer. If you just use a radioshack splitter you might get some funky electrical cross talk between amps which could prove harmfull to one or both amps. thats been my experienc, at least it did sound a little funky. you can use the mixer to split an output OR put multiply inputs into ONE output. resistor values of the mixer to lower the signal strength a little , but the flexibility is nice.

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Your stereo effects out will work fine - I've been doing that for years through a Boss SE-50. You'll have to check your patches though - some will chorus just one side and pass a straight signal to the other. Personally, I like that, but I'm sure you've got your own preferences... ;)