Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    If you could only choose ONE bass what would it be? What wood would it be made of? How many strings? Fretless or Fretted?

Take your pick.

I pick the Fodera 84 Monarch, 4 string.

2. I would chose my MIA '67 Jazz bass. I use this bass the most right now so the decision would be easy!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It would be what I own... a Lakland Skyline 5501... It does what I need, & pardon my ignorance, I just don't want for "better".

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If it was a non-custom bass, i would go with a Warwick Proline Corvette, 4 string fretted.

5. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I can not tell but most people praise the G&L-L2000 in means of tonal variation. I guess that would be the most important feature. Other than that this kubicki would make me pretty content:
    [​IMG]

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one of these...

[​IMG]

which? depends on when you ask me :)

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    And I thought he was going to say: One bass... to rule them all.

8. A fretted 5. Probably my Godin or my soon-to-be-mine Spector. But definitely a fretted 5.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol, that'd be this one...

[​IMG]

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    John, that would definitely be the one.

11. Mmmmmm, m'precious. We likes the white fretless bassy-wassy, m'precious. :D

Seriously, it would have to be:

1) A five string
    2) Rosewood or ebony board
    3) Piezos in the bridge
    4) Fretless (not 100% on this, but pretty sure)

Mike ;)

12. I would choose my 4003 Fireglo Ric. Its too purty to say no too. :D

13. I'd say a P-bass, and I'm not one of those "All you need is a P-bass kinda guys" it's just cause I've played a lot of basses they feel the most comfortable and sound the coolest.

14. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Damn John, I've seen that pic before, the woodwork is ASTOUNDING My favs are the one on the Far right, and the second one on the far left, the one with the black, 'Goopy' splat on the Natural color body.

BTW, if you dont mind posting, How much did that one cost? (the one Second to the Far Left)

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bill calls that his "ultimelt" design - the woods are wenge and flame maple (it's not painted, those are the actual woods). i got it off of ebay at a substantial discount, but normally it goes for around $4.5 - 5k, depending on the options. not sure about the price, may be less - i get the "frequent flyer" discount :)

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Roscoe SKB3007.

Easy.

17. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    John, if I didn't know what an outstanding luthier and great cat Bill is, I would have to call you crazy. And you are, but you dig the best.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I only have one bass at the moment.....an MTD 535, and it covers pretty much everything I need. I do feel some GAS pains for another musicman, probably going to be another Sterling when I can afford to pick one up.

19. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    That bass is just too pretty John, I wish I could have one (but I like Six'ers myself)

BTW, I just bought my first really good bass, (dont laugh John) A Lakland 55-01, for some reason, I liked the 'Jazzy' sound I get out of the 01 more than the 02, Far from a $4,500 bass, but I LOVE IT!

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

John do you notice any tonal changes when playing on the different parts of the fretboard on that "ultimelt" bass?