1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One blown 10" in a 4X10, Possible to bypass the blown one temporarily?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kolter909, Jul 6, 2012.

1. kolter909

kolter909 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Memphis TN
    Hi, I'm rather new to this forum, so please forgive me if my post is in the wrong place, it's been answered before, etc. I searched around a little bit and didn't see an answer.

Basically, I have a Bag End Q10B-D, and one speaker is distorting really bad and on the cusp of blowing. There is a local speaker shop that said they will re-cone it for $75, which sounds fine to me, but it will take a few weeks for parts and labor etc. Really all four need to be replaced, but I only find one that is actually distorting at the moment.

So my question is, can I bypass the blown out speaker for a little while, or is this just a terrible idea? I have a rather large show in exactly a week, and I know the speaker shop will take longer than that to fix it. Thanks guys, and I'm excited to finally become an official member of this great community!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can, though it will raise the impedance of your cab a little (shouldn't be an issue in most cases). You will have to cover the hole, though, otherwise your cab will be even more inefficient than having a broken speaker.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No. It'll just screw up the other 3 and end up blowing them too. Might also blow up your amp depending on what the dead driver is doing to your impedance. Get it fixed.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If you can't get it fixed fast enough, borrow, or rent a cab for next weeks gig.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Bah, I've done it in a pinch, and as long as you're smart with the volume knob, it'll be fine.

6. kolter909

Jun 19, 2012
    Memphis TN
    Thanks. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to what I can and can't do when it comes to impedance, ohms, wattage etc. I just don't know anyone with a cab I can borrow. I have a Bag End 18" I'm running with it now, but it won't sound great by itself. I'll see if they can rush it at the speaker shop or something. Bag End wants $199 to replace a speaker. I paid $300 for the whole cabinet at GC, so $199 per speaker scares me.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've done it in a pinch too and got lucky. If there's a series connection in there, which is a very real possibility, one bad driver can "disconnect" 2 of them. You then have a low impedance 210 playing in a cab the size of a 410, and everything is in danger.....but hey....it's rock-n-roll.....no place for ties and worryworts.:bassist:

8. kolter909

Jun 19, 2012
    Memphis TN
    yea, the left side speakers appear to be in one "loop" and the two on the right in a separate loop. Not sure if I can just roll with the 2x10 in it without blowing everything up.

9. The bag end 2x10s are 4 ohms and the 4x10s are 8 ohms so they are almost certainly 8 ohm speakers... so series parallel it is.

JImmy probably did it in an all parallel Ampeg cab, which is "less" of an issue.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I had to do this in one of my Carvin 4x10s a couple weeks ago. Only for one gig though ( I got the replacement the night before the second gig and installed it in the trailer before the show) and I was trippin' the whole time. The speaker has to come out of the hole or the farting will continue just as if the speaker was hooked up. I know nothing about Bag End cabs, but you are most certainly changing the impedance as well as changing the amount of power being distributed among the remaining 3 speakers. If it were me, I would buy a replacement, have it expedited, then recone the blown speaker AFTER you have a new one in it's place. Once you get the reconed speaker back you will have a spare, which as you stated, will likely come in handy in the near future.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, you're right.

12. Rock and a hard place.

If you parallel a single with the series pair the single gets pounded on. Essentially your amp would be trying to make it do the work of two, so you would have to turn down the whole mess to the level of the single. Roughly half your output is lost.

The thing to do is rewire the remaining three all in series, seal off the dead one's hole, making do with less but not so much less.

13. kolter909

Jun 19, 2012
    Memphis TN
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to take it to the speaker shop, see if they can expedite it, and if not, see if they can help me figure out how to run it with the three. If worst case scenario and I can't, I'll run with my bag end 18" and Peavey 15" with an eminence speaker. Not ideal, but hey, it'll work.

14. The "speaker" shop does not have a speaker they can sell/loan you.?

15. kolter909

Jun 19, 2012
    Memphis TN
    I dunno. It's a Bag End, not sure if they have something to put in there, or if they'd even loan me a speaker.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    In a pinch, I'd settle for close enough. That's not a bad idea to see if they have a loaner they could spot you till yours gets reconed.

17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I played a Fender Super Reverb for awhile with one blown speaker. Eventually the whole thing died. But, it gave me the option to finally get rid of that heavy thing.

18. If we knew where you were located it might be possible for someone on tb to make a loan. I know I have 2 raw 10s in my garage and I am always up for helping out another bassist in need, but I have no idea if I am anywhere near you. I am sure there are others in the same position who could live right up the street.

19. kolter909

Jun 19, 2012
    Memphis TN
    I'm located in Memphis TN. I've not seen too many people in this forum from here... strangely...

20. What's wrong with this? I'd rather do that than run a 410 as a 310. Besides, you might find out you like it.