Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One cab at 4 ohms or two at 8 ohms? (Cab configuration Q)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GoneFarAway, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Greets,

I posted a thread earlier this week asking advice about cabs. A couple guys recommended Avatar, and I did some searches on the forum to see what people thought about them.

Since I'm still in college and looking for an inexpensive rig, I've decided to go with them. I've budgeted myself about $900 bucks (well...$880 since I wanted to pick up a supporting membership :) ), so I could afford to buy two cabs.

I definitely want to get at least a 4x10, which would be about $380 with shipping. That gives me some room to either buy another cab, or save up for another bass.

Do you guys think it'd be worth it to invest in another cab? If so, what combination do you think is optimal? 4x10 and a 2x10? Or a 4 and a 2x15? 1x15? I've tried searching the forums for past threads, but can't find anything useful.

2. hi,

i'd recommed to first buy one cab, and look if it's enough.
    most of the time one cab is enough (this also depends on how strong your amp is)
    1x15 with 4Ohm are kinda hard to find, so I'd prefer a 4x10 with 8xOhms, then you are most flexible on any add-ons.

greetx, flea2010

ps: one reason for having more than one cab is actually the visual aspect on a stage, for that I would recommend you 3 15'cabs and 3 4x10'cabs :D

3. Pssh...don't have to worry about the visual. No one pays attention to the bassist anyway, right? :)

I forgot to mention my head is a Fender Bassman 400, output is 350 watts, 4 ohms.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you may infact only need one cab... I have one 4x10 cab... its 8ohms.... i'm running 1,000 watts through it and it sounds great and plenty loud... I got the 8ohm cab with the intention of adding another 8ohm cab to it... but i don't know if i'll need to do that any time soon

5. hm, I also have 350 Watts (SWR 350x) and 1 8 Ohm Cab, once when we played a large open air, the master-lever touched the limits ...
    If I had the money, I would buy another 15'-cab ...

6. Thanks all. I think I'm going to go with a 4x10 8 ohm and a 2x10 8 ohm for the lows. My head is a little underpowered at 350 watts, but the above is a pretty good start if I decide to expand it down the line I think.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What are your needs (gigging, rehearsal, etc.)??? THAT should dictate what cabs you need.

If you're going through a PA, I doubt you'll need more than a 4x10 unless you are doing huge stage shows at high volume. If the stage is large, I found that I prefer the sound of TWO 4x10's over the sound of a 4x10 and a 1x15.

If you are covering bars all by yourself from stage volume, consider adding a 1x15 to the 4x10, it will help throw the lows further into the room, which is something you DON'T want to do if you go through the PA and have a soundman.

Consider adding a 2x10 if you sometimes do smaller gigs, its nice to have to use by itself, and can help assist a 4x10 on larger stages.

8. Eric,

I meant 1x15...doh. I know I want that for the lows.

I'm in a band at school, and we play at frat houses and bars mostly. We have to rent equipment if we play frats (which is a lot) and not all bars have the greatest PA system.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    350w through those 2 speakers cabs will be PLENTY. I'm only using 400w and can drown out drum kits easily when I use both cabs. I won't bore you with the maths, but it's not about pushing watts, it's about moving air, and 2 cabs will always move more air.

10. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I know you have your heart set on a 410. But the Avatar 212 and 210 together is an awesome duo. The Avatar 212 is an outstanding stand-alone and the 210 mates up perfectly together. Before you commit to the 410, ask Avatar Dave his thoughts on your needs. He's great.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Like a few others (and I think you too have settled on this) I'd go with the 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 at 8 ohms each!

I had this setup for a while and it gives you a nice complete sound (I think so anyway). My rig has changed lately to 4 x 8 and a 1 x 15 (easier on my back!) and it's quite a nice combination too!