1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

one cab on each side of the room?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 19, 2006.

1. currently when my band plays, i put my 4x10 next to the drummer, and our guitarist puts his cab on top of my cab, and he puts his other cab on the other side of the drummer. he has plays through 2 heads, each powering one side of the room. i was thinking instead of getting an 8x10, would it sound fuller if i got another 4x10 and did what he does; putting a cab on each side of the drummer? are there any negative aspects about this?

2. I know this is true with subwoofer cabinets, so I would imagine it is the same with bass cabs, but I believe you get an extra 6dB by having the two cabinets together (or one 8x10) producing a single wavefront.

3. Not 6, 3 maybe. You also gain 3 by putting the cabs in a corner supposedly, but I've never really tried it.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Two identical cabs stacked together parallel wired gets you 6dB. Corner placement gets you 12dB below 100Hz.

6. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    for me, two cabs behind me works best. i like to be about 10-12 feet infront of them. i've tried splitting the cabs and different positions, but i need to hear and feel my cabs... but that's just me.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A couple...

1. You'll have two cabinets to load in/out and transport.

2. If you're louder to the guitarist than you have been before, he WILL turn up and the volume war will begin.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

If your speakers are too far apart, there will be destructive interference at certain wavelengths and your overall volume will be lower.

9. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    My bands all liked a cab on the far side of the drummer, but now that we're on in-ear monitors my cab was given back to me.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I maybe wrong on this but I thought that if you split cabs to opposite sides of the room you loose any coupling effects that can be gained by stacking. So if you have a 600 watt amp outputing 300 watts into each cabinet you'll have a total of 600 watts whilst they are stacked. If the cabs are split, the overall volume will be quivalent to having 300 watts.

Again someone feel free tell me I'm wrong on this one

11. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Causing premature deafness in the poor drummer?

12. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    This band i like, municipal waste. (guitar, bass, drums) has guitar cabs on each side of the drummer and the bassist only plays on one side. He plays a svt3pro out of a 610. and he fills the room awesomely just with one stack on the side of the drums. I'd stick to one side. how about this... brett(a e i u o) just tell george to play on one side

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If the cabs are separated there will still be coupling, but only at frequencies where the two cabs are in phase with each other at the listener's position. Where they are out of phase at the listener's position they will cancel each other out. In between the two extremes they will either add or subtract from each other at the listener's position, and since the listener's position is variable so is the frequency response throughout the room. This phenomenon disappears once you get a few wavelengths away from the source, so it isn't very obvious for anything but the bass, due to the long wavelengths of its content.

14. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I play in a 4-piece band -- 2 guitars, bass and drums. For quite a while, I put a 1x15 cabinet on each side of the drummer and the guitar players set thier amps on top of my cabs. Made for a very compact and tidy stage setup...

However, I found that sometimes in smaller bars, when I turned the bass up so I could hear it on stage, it was too loud and boomy out front.

I now stack the 1x15 cabs on my side of the stage. I can always hear myself just fine now and the vertical stack acts more like a line source (rather than two point sources) which provides more clarity out front.

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    If you are in a large room and/or you're running through a PA... you don't really need to do all that... let the PA do the work its designed to do... just MHO

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree. If the drummer gets a monitor mix, why not just feed the guitar and bass into his monitor instead using additional cabs?