1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One Chord (Tonality) Jam, you pick the key.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BbBlues, May 1, 2009.

1. BbBlues

BbBlues

Jan 6, 2008
    Saratoga, NY
    One Chord (Tonality) Jam, you pick the key.

I pick Dm7. Grooving the D and C on the A string then dropping down to low F and walking back up is “Home” for me.

2. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I just stole that from you. Thanks. So, +1.

--Bomb :bassist:

3. Grayson C.

Grayson C.

Dec 21, 2008
    Could you describe to me exactly what you mean by this? I can jam over a Dm easily enough, but it just occured to me - I have no idea what a dm7 is. Rather, I know what it sounds like compared to a Dm, but not how to achieve it on anything other than guitar chords

4. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

Feb 14, 2005
    dm7 is a dm with an added 7th, as a bassist you don't really need to pay attention to it. But it's nice to throw in when you're walking, the 7th is not a leading tone however, but the b7 that occurs in the natural minor scale.

5. Grayson C.

Grayson C.

Dec 21, 2008
    Alright that's sort of what I was thinking - but isn't the 7th on a dm scale a c? What does a b7 mean? (edit: unless it just means bmaj7, I get that well enough, but not how it applies to a dm7)

6. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

Feb 14, 2005
    7th on Dm7 is indeed C

b7 is different from bmaj7

b7 is a flat 7 whereas the bmaj7 uses the leading tone 7th (half step down from the root)

Typically when there is a maj written in conjunction with a 7th it is explaining how that 7th relates to the triad

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    fail-owned-phone-fail.