1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Clean Octave Up--

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ductapeman, Mar 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I started life as a drummer, but I got better
    I've been looking for something which will give me an octave above what I'm playing for a very long time now. The device needs to track a five-string all the way down (maybe even to an A below bottom B) without choking. I've tried a number of boxes recommended to me by friends, and the only thing that would do it was an Eventide product that cost more than my car. That was almost ten years ago, and it occurred to me the other day that miniaturization should have caught up with this by now, so have started looking again. I picked up an ElectroHarmonix POG, the big one with the sliders, and granted I haven't had time to fiddle much with it, but I can't seem to get just one voice out of it-- it's like everything is all the way up all the time. I'll work with it some more this weekend, but is there anything else out there?? I don't need an octave down, or boost, or fuzz or any of that happy crap-- just one nice clear octave above what I'm playing. Is there any hope?

2. POG/Micro POG/Nano POG

If you have a POG, it should be able to do it, but I'm not familiar enough with the controls to tell you how. The Micro and Nano POGs are straightforward - turn on the up octave knob, don't turn on the down octave knob, and add unaffected signal to taste.

oysteivi and Cuzzie like this.
  3. EHX Pitchfork or Mooer Tender Octave plus most multi efx also have an octave up and the one on the Zoom MS60b tracks well and is in tune.

chumpchampion and Driven Crane like this.
  4. Digitech bass whammy isn't that expensive and if you set the pedal to toe up could run it either straight octave up or the setting for root nite and octave up? Plus a lot of options on there... But if a basic octave up may not be what you want..

TerribleLiar23 and Musicman1901 like this.
  5. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I agree with this. It will give you a clean octave up as well as tons of other options. Not expensive either. I love mine.

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems

I have not found the zoom octave up stuff to be in tune.

soong likes this.
  7. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I started life as a drummer, but I got better
    This is exactly the stuff I was looking for, thanks! Almost bought a Whammy, but a friend told me how much he dug his Nano POG, so I figured More Is Better and bought the bigger one. I'm still hoping I can pull a good tone out of it-- some of the sliders are ambiguously marked. and I may have them all the way up instead of all the way off (story of my whole life right now). I can still pick up a Whammy and not break the bank, and I'm digging the "pedal-steel" shifts, so maybe I'll get one anyway.

You guys have got to understand, for most of my life I have been completely gizmo-free-- most I ever used was a Boss tuner and an old MXR EQ, so I'm in very unfamiliar waters here, and I really appreciate the openness I am treated with here.

Bassist4Eris and theunknowndude like this.
  8. I play a 5 string so never found a use for octave down / up as a straight pedal.. Hence my like of the whammy. Still need to learn when / where to use it though! And don't worry - love of gizmo's can take time and depends on what you do with them... Just do as much research or try before you buy if you can

9. I've had a few pedals that do this. The bass whammy, the whammy 4, the nano pog, line 6 m5, They all work to some degree. Which one is for you is a matter of taste.