1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One combo amp that works for bass AND guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaryMary, Jan 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MaryMary

MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    I'm looking for an affordable, practice-size combo amplifier that would sound decent at a quiet volume for both bass and guitar. Is there any such animal? A Fender Bassman? Something else?

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I got a Polytone MiniBrute III in 1980 specifically because I could use it for both guitar and bass. 40 years later it's still getting used regularly...for both guitar and bass.
    Wouldn't be my first choice as a "character" amp for grindy rock'n'roll guitar, but it takes pedals or PODs well enough. And you'll need to (at least) pair it with a big extension speaker cabinet if you use it for bass in a band with a couple guitarists and a bombastic drummer. But for casual gigs, GB work, theater pits, jazz combos, studio work... iow, >75% of the paying gigs I've done over those 40 years ...it's been the bee's knees.

quickfix and MaryMary like this.
  3. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Peavey Vypyr claims to do both. I have no personal experience with one, but there it is.

4. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    You might consider a small Roland keyboard amp, which should handle bass and guitar (but if you wanted overdrive or any coloration, you'd have to use a pedal chain, as the amp wouldn't be designed for that).

5. cmcbass

cmcbass Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I use a fender rumble 25 in my apartment. It's not feature packed or anything, but it sounds decent with both guitar and bass. Nothing to write home about, but it fits my needs.

Marc valero, vvvmmm and MaryMary like this.
  6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The Rumble 40 is pretty good as a guitar amp.
    The Vypyr 40 is also a great switch hitter, acoustic guitar, too.
    I have a 1979 Sunn Alpha 112 that despite being a guitar amp, it is a pretty killer home bass amp. It's 50W, sealed cabinet, and has a single channel that can be clean or dirty, scoopy or mid forward (has sweepable mid control).

7. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    A real question : could a cab with a removable back cover this? I know for a while I used a 112 guitar cab with a removable/convertible back. Put a thin layer of rubber to act as a gasket on the removable part, and it worked quite well for low volume things...

MaryMary likes this.
  8. MaryMary

MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    Hmm... Maybe, I don't know! Never tried that before.

9. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    The orange bass combos sound good with guitar

MaryMary likes this.
  10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    If you get a decent speaker that can handle some bass while tuning the closed back cab for that speaker to get good bass response, yes. Then, pulling the panel should result in a usable open back tone for guitar.

MaryMary likes this.
  11. Peavey Micro Bass amps sound surprisingly good for a guitar amp. And unsurprisingly mediocre for a bass amp. Both in a practice situation. But, it's small and does what you want it to do and can be had for under $50. Look for the Made in USA version. Patriotism aside, they seem to sound better than their foreign counterparts.

MaryMary likes this.
  12. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    I've got a Peavey Vyper 40 and it is perfect for what you want. The preset sounds are over the top, like all presets on modeling amps, but you can get some pretty decent practice tones with some knob fiddling. I've even used mine as both a bass amp and guitar amp in some jam situations with electronic drums where you can control volume. Did the job admirably. They're also inexpensive and with all the amp sims, fx sims, and other goodies you can cover a lot of ground.

MaryMary likes this.
  13. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    My TC Electronic BG250 15" combo sounds REALLY good with guitar. I bought it used cheap from guitar center.

MaryMary likes this.
  14. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Recommend Peavey VYPER-VIP-2. Has separate inputs for electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass. You get eight presets with electric, and four each with bass and acoustic. Exceptional tool with modeling capability.

MaryMary likes this.
  15. Depends on the cab, depends on the speaker, depends on the sound you need. Probably depends on the volume too. But chances are if you use a decent speaker and stick to low volumes I don't see why not.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You are probably better of getting a bass amp and also using it for guitar than buying a guitar amp and also using it for bass. A lot of guitar amps can't handle bass. I haven't found a bass amp yet that couldn't handle guitar.

17. Fender Bassman, the original tube version.... good bass amp, great guitar amp ;-)

Which leads to modelers - a bass amp modeler that contains a Fender Bassman will make a great guitar amp modeler (assuming you like the sound of a fender bassman on guitar... )

MaryMary, onosson and Helix like this.
  18. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I'd say any Bass amp, and preferably a couple a 12 or 10" speakers.

You can run a guitar through any bass amp, but you *cant run bass through just any ol' guitar amp. (well, not loudly without risking speaker damage anyway).

*Can't meaning, probably shouldn't- I have run bass through guitar amps at low volume with no damage what so ever.

So, again, I say choose any bass setup you like, dial out some low lows, adjust highs to taste..and if it sounds good, it is good.

YMMV

T$

MaryMary likes this.
  19. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    If you're talking about just home practice, any decent bass or guitar amp can usually do the job. Just depends on what you expect out of it. Sometimes I play bass through my little 15w tube Supro guitar combo--sounds very cool. Sometimes I'll run a guitar through my B100R. Also sounds cool! I haven't run a guitar through my GM MB112 combo but I'm sure it would work just fine for a totally clean sound (heck, could probably work great as a clean "jazz" guitar amp).

MaryMary likes this.