1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Control Sonic Silver Peg

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by turboff, Feb 4, 2018.

1. turboff

turboff

Jan 13, 2016
    Toronto
    Anyone tried this?
    Haven't seen a thing about it here on TB and have searched multiple times. Can't tell if its a OD type pedal or something along the lines of a Hudson Broadcast/Phat Phuk Bass booster kind of pedal

sounds pretty good though!

silver peg - YouTube

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I have one. Great as a boost or preamp, and with the gain switch on does a great overdrive along the lines of the Tonehammer or SFT. So warm / fat / farty drive sounds rather than upper mid grind if you know what I mean.

Downsides are it’s tricky to keep the volume in check in boost mode, and the gain isn’t adjustable. There are however 3 tiny trimpots inside that I’ve not tried messing with, and my instructions were in Japanese as I imported it! There are probably English instructions online but haven’t checked yet.

I practice on headphones a lot, usually using a Tonehammer DI. I’ve been A-Bing them and having trouble working out which one I prefer, which is saying a lot as I love the Aguilar!

k.graz likes this.
  3. turboff

turboff

Jan 13, 2016
    Toronto
    Thanks for that man! thats interesting..let me know what you conclude.

If I recall correctly you are the guy who loves/loved his Blueberry for OD? if so how would you compare those two?

4. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I was intrigued by Dannybouy's description in another thread so I just ordered one from Japan. It should be here this week. Been loving the TH as a dedicated drive pedal so I'm curious to compare. I'll be sure to post my thoughts when it comes through.

5. turboff

turboff

Jan 13, 2016
    Toronto
    cool brother! report back!

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Less muddy than the Blueberry, more flexible EQ... But otherwise kinda similar, yet kinda different! Blueberry feels more ‘gooey’ for want of a better description!

turboff, Coughdrops and Driven Crane like this.
  7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    turboff likes this.
  8. Coughdrops

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Hah, I kept waiting on their stock to replenish and my impatience got better of me and went to eBay. Mine should be here in a day or so

9. Coughdrops

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    So mine finally arrived via slow boat from Japan. Had a rehearsal last night and used it as an always on light OD. My initial thought was, oh, that sounds like an Ampeg. It sat in the mix wonderfully and had a nice warm ish breakup character.

I just sat down with it DI style. The gain adjustment is a fixed switch and the higher gain mode is a perfect light overdrive and is nicely touch sensitive. The tone knob adds a nice treble bite that to me really helps with the Ampeg sound. Ditto on the active mid, which is straight from the SVT design I think, albeit at a fixed frequency.

I compared directly to a Bearfoot blueberry and they could get very close. The Silver Peg had a little more lower mids to my ear but at certain settings they were indeed quite similar. Particularly in the nature of the breakup, which has that spongy character described above. The Tone Hammer is a great comparison as well and they can get very close, though I haven't spent as much time going back and forth on these two.

In all, it's a great mild tube like od that has a perfect amount of adjustability is a tiny enclosure. For its size and features it does a great job with the Ampeg vibe. I'm going to continue to use it on gigs to keep getting a better idea of its sound in different environments.

gscroggin, amper, Nunovsky and 2 others like this.
  10. turboff

turboff

Jan 13, 2016
    Toronto
    thanks for your review!

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    All that plus you can even squeeze a battery into that 1590A enclosure!

12. Can the silver peg be totally clean and get color only?

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Yes, with the gain switch off.

14. Nick von Nick

Nick von Nick Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2014
    NY
    Hey All,

I like to weigh in on any of the One Control threads because I own their entire bass lineup! Below is a short description of how I've been able to use their bass preamps:

• Crimson Red Bass (CRB): Though bold to say, this is one of my favorite pedals. Ever. I basically use it for its tonal characteristics. Aside from the volume, the key control is the Brilliance knob. It seems like a tone control with a stronger LPF behind the scenes (I say "seems" because the instructions are Japanese and the website is little help). The Gain knob seems to control the intensity of the Brilliance control. I affectionately call the CRB my "Dub Switch" because when I roll the tone off (full-CCW), I reach full Robbie Shakespeare mode. This makes it a one-trick pony on my board, but one that is switched on 95% of the time.
    • Sonic Silver Peg (SSP): The SSP is definitely more versatile than the CRB. The controls are clearly defined: the Mid knob boosts/cuts up to 15 dB around 800 Hz and the Tone knob is a clear LPF that will cut down to 300 Hz (which is, incidentally, around the highest note on my 20-fret four-string Jazz). There's also a -15 dB cut switch after the EQ. Anyway, I think the SSP could potentially mimic the dubby feel of the CRB, but I haven't experimented enough to find out. That said, when I crank the mid-boost, I can really drive my EHX Bass Big Muff Nano. I did this at a gig on May 4th, and the distortion cut through something fierce...
    Overall, these are both amazing devices, but I feel like there is far more I can do with them, especially if I stack them with other devices.

[Quick Aside]: My biggest complaint about these pedals is simply that I cannot seem to find a clear definition for their controls/knobs. If I understand correctly, the designer is Swedish and the manufacturer is Japanese. There are some clear translation issues on the English site (e.g. "Evidently, this pedal is perfect for any bass player" - this is not English vernacular). However, my non-musical trade is Technical Writing, so I am admittedly obsessive about technical definitions. I've also heard that Bjorn Juhl (the designer) has a penchant for making his controls interact with one another, so I'd love to understand how he defines each know.

If you've read this far, keep in mind that these are two pedals that I can almost always use. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat - they are the best tone-sculpting tools I've ever used.
    ~Nick von Nick

gscroggin, Frodolicious and Basspaolo like this.
  15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    My only beef with the Sonic Silver Peg is that with the gain boost on (or pad off, whatever it is), it's very finicky to get unity volume from it as the volume control needs to be barely on.

Coughdrops and Nick von Nick like this.
  16. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I just bought one of these and tried it with my bluestrio today. Very impressive!
    I’ll give it a shot in the metal band this weekend too, but from what I heard today my guess is it’ll work better in an old school setting.

17. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Sorry to zombify an old thread, but I just got one of these a couple of days ago. Still trying to sort out if I love it or not, but I'm getting there. I got it to use in a nano ampless pedalboard setup. One issue I have is that with one of my basses (passive), even in normal "non-boost" mode I can't get the volume of the SSP up above 9:00 without the pedal farting out. And not in a good way. Like even the passive bass is giving it too much gain to work with. The boost mode is insane. Forget about it. However, I tried it with a different passive jazz, and it was absolutely phenomenal. Smooth, creamy Ampeg tone. Unbelievable tone from such a small package.

One question, though. ARE those trim pots on the inside? I took the back off after seeing this post, and it looks like there are three little things that can be turned, labled "T1, T2, T3", but I'm not sure. They do not appear to be obviously turnable to me, like they might not actually be trim pots. Of course the instructions are in Japanese and useless. I don't want to start just tweaking something that wasn't meant to be tweaked. But I thought maybe one of them might be an input trim, which could help with my gain issues.

18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    do you have a gut shot of it?

19. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I’ll post one later. Thanks.

20. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    79FF7FC6-D412-44D2-A883-364B09B6D268.jpeg 092C3ADD-D1CF-48AE-B131-A223465462B5.jpeg BF053063-BDE2-44ED-A5D6-6392DB59FF27.jpeg 4B710410-598B-4FCF-BAF9-FD4B2FD8AD79.jpeg DF9C9E32-683C-4363-8E6A-65BB0FCDCA91.jpeg
    Upon closer inspection, doesn’t look anything like trim pots you can turn. There are a couple of screws on the upper portion, but I’m guessing that’s holding the thing together. I messed with it some more tonight and got some great tones dialed in with my passive jazz, but even with that, I can only get the volume up to about 10:00-10:30 before the clean channel starts to fart out. But it works and sounds great below that. And even at 10:00, it’s a significant volume boost from bypassed level.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021