1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One dollar donated to aids patients for a mouse click

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Not sure if this is against forum rules to post this, if it is mods delete it, but its for a good cause. Im not involved with this group, but for a mouse click aids patients will get some relief.

Today, Bristol-Myers Squibb, the pharmaceutical monolith that charges nearly $1,000 for a 30 day supply of one of its HIV/AIDS medications, is donating $1 to the National AIDS Fund for each person who simply visits their website and "virtually lights a candle." The tally is near 1mill + now.

Please, please take a minute to "light a candle":

www.lighttounite.org

2. I did that last night...thats pretty awesome if it's true.

It'd be even better if they didn't charge so much for aids medication (how much does it really cost to produce?)

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  4. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I imagine that if you factor in the research, development, testing, loss for failed medications, applications and approval processes by the FDA as well as funding ongoing research to find better treatments or even a cure, it costs a lot more than you think.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hmm...it sounded suspect when I read the title, but if it's not then that is awesome!

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Interesting, I heard the other day that the pharma's don't actually do as much research themselves as they would have you believe. Rather they jump in after NIH or some such has done the heavy lifting. In fact, there were stats thrown in: Pharma's spent 30% of their budgets on advertising, 16% profit, and 11% actual research and development.

Dang, now I need to find that or it's just useless internet blather...I'll be back....

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.