1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ONE DOWN, ONE UP Live at the Half Note

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Anybody else checked this out? I have to say I thought the Monk/Trane would be hard to top, but (especially) Disc One of this recording is PFH.

It also made me think of how few joints there are like the Half Note around today...

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Yeah! Like I said, this record is one of those handful of works that reminds me of what I'm looking for in jazz and in music. It is amazing how quickly a half-hour passes when you are swept up in Coltrane's mind.

3. Anonymous75966

Anonymous75966

Jun 29, 2004
    I've been listening to this every day at work for weeks. It's awesome.

Listening to the final recordings by the quartet is like looking into the corona of the sun ...

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I shoulda SEARCHED, Sam'l. Mea maxima culpa. You did post while I was on vacation last year, in my own defense.

But YEAH. I was just killed by how, by the second or so chorus of AFRO BLUE they were in entirely new space, harmonically AND temporally. Siriusly B A D ....

5. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    I agree, its a great record. Been a good year for Coltrane albums, "In Flux" is great too!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Just listened to the first CD and really liked it - but I was just getting into Afro Blue - when the radio announcer cut in and they faded it!! :eek:

Still worth having though - and I love the packaging - photos and notes etc. :)