1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Fifteen ...for searchings sake!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Hey TB'ers. I have looked, waited, read, and even solicited advice from one MAIN (respected) member on the TB community, sorry can't find the Trace. I need more volume, thunder, old school goodness that only a fifteen inch speaker will provide. I play a style of music that I could only described as progressive punk metal thrash core rock...lol.

Local, there isn't jack and hasn't been for about 6 months. Budget! I can spend about $200. Anything less than that would be awesome. I need an 8ohm 1-15" cab to add to my 2-12" cab for the THUNDER. I have been considering all the budget brands. What do you like about the cab you are about to recommend? I know the value of used gear, but that may not be an option. New, Acoustic, Kustom, GK backline, possibly ashdown....Used, Hartke, Peavey, mostly old stuff thats about to die...except for peavey. Peavey stuff will survive nuclear fall out. Thanks from a guy just looking for good advice.

Go!

2. the old EV TL cabs are good reliable 1x15"s IMO some of the major names today are copying them for their 1x15's- Orange -eg. PV Black Widow 1x15's are good too & can be had for very li'l $$$. Ashdown too make a largeer one & a compact 1x15- obvously the bigger one'd have a bigger sound! I recently got a discontinued Aguilar GS115 for a good $$$ & it is a beauty! They ARE out there, just have to be patient & keep an eye. "LDS" cabs will MAKE U what U want AFAIK.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yorkville makes a pretty good 115 at a good price.

4. Hi.

Another vote for the EV TL606 design. You should be able to find one used for a reasonable price. (Might be a tad more than $200, but worth it IMHO)

Regards
    Sam

5. Thanks for the replies. After searching for about 2 hours on the internet, I cannot find any EV cabs for sale at all....
    The Ashdown that you are speaking of is probably the ABM series, they are outta the price range.
    Peavey always on my radar so I am still waiting for one to pop up.
    as for Yorkville, this fits the budget, but not very close to me http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=663917 any thoughts?I wonder which arm and leg they will charge for shipping? :D

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    L-606 refer's to a design - not generally a model of EV cab ... The old Mesa Road Ready 15's for instance are a TL-606 design. Best bet is get the plan, fire up the table saw and crank one out in your garage ... it's a pretty kicking cab whnen properly built and loaded...

7. I might be willing to build a cab, where can I get those plans...I was going to go the BFM route but found out that you can't use traditional radiator designs with the BFM cabs because of signal cancelling or whatever.

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You could find an old Ampeg Isovent

9. I should add that I've built bass and guitar cabs in the past and always do a crappy job with the speaker hole. I don't cut circles very well. I suspect there's a trick I don't know. Other than that, I think it's a pretty good route for a 1x15 under $200.

Another option might be to find an empty cab on ebay for cheap (and lighter to ship). Carvin's are pretty cheap, too... maybe a used one on ebay would go for around $200?

10. Found it

11. You can find a much sought after Altec-Lansing 921 (black aluminum dustcap) or 421 (silver aluminum dustcap) woofer.

-High sensitivity, great damping: great for tube amps, even better for solid state.

-Very high power handling: Thermal, mechanical... If it is clean power, it is good power.

-Deep cones: Very little distortion, less breakup, great fundamental.

I have two 921s and I love them!

I have also been impressed with those EVs and vintage JBL (fender spec.) drivers.

Peavey WILL indeed survive nuclear fallout. I agree. My Black Widow fell out of a bus and outlived its custom box! No magnet realignment necessary!

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    If you find a source for good plywood cheep and dont care about special finishes, grills, corners, mids, tweets, xovers, handles, etc, you could build a simple box, brace the $^&*% out of it, and splurge on a really nice neo driver (3015lf) and stay under 200.

someone mentioned the 3015 (non lf) for use in the tl606. Also, guys may be dumping thier NON neo drivers for neo versions, so you could find a deal.

Watch CList. I see 118's and 115's all the time on my CL.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You'd be amazed what you can find on Craigslist for bass cabs - REAL CHEAP!!!

14. My neck of the woods has been dry for awhile. However, there are a bunch of rip off deals for electric guitars and amps right now.

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    True - you may have to venture out...even with gas prices as high as they are right now, you should search nearby cities and even states. If you save a few hundred bucks on something, it could still be worth the trip

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Router and circle cutting jig... basically a piece of wood as wide as the router base. Line up the router on the board so the bit is dead on the center of the board. Mark and create a hole for the router bit. Mark and create holes to affix the router plate to the jig later.

Exactly on the center line, and exactly 1/2 the diaimeter of the desired hole, make a tight hole for a bolt, stick the bolt throught the hole.

Now, on the speaker baffle - make another hole for the bolt at the center point of your desired hole's location.

Mount the jig to the board, mount the router to the jig - If the router is not a plunge type router, you need to create an initial hole in the speaker baffle so the bit can go through - me ? I use a plunge router.

Turn on the router and rotate it through the circle... done. Nice and clean.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm using the 3015 rather than the 3015 LF. I got my pair right here from the GFS around $125 a throw IIRC. Might have been $100 - Nice sounding 15 to me.

As the OP is undoubtedly young and strong - I might search out an old EV 15 or an Emmience Delta and say screw the neo - personally - I like 'em light ... and for some of us, we'll I dig 15's it's a tone I can work with. I can also run a 2x10 on top if I really need to. 2 15's has a nice heft to the tone in spite of that the hifi crowd says ... John Paul Jones, Jamerson, Duck - none of those guys needed tweeters after all ... the fact that they weren't really available is of course irrelevant :D

18. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc