Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One finger?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bushfire, Nov 6, 2005.

1. When I'm playing finger style I usually plug away with my index and middle fingers. But on simpler songs where I'm just chugging out eighths I find myself just using one finger because of the more even tone I get. Is there anything wrong with this?

-Bernard.

2. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I read that Jamerson used only his index finger for the same effect.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, there's nothing wrong with that at all. A lot of bassists do it.

4. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Rocco Prestia (T of P) and me are two more guys who mostly use ONLY the right hand index finger

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There's nothing inherently wrong with it, I often groove with one finger for the sake of feeling the music in a certain way. That said, if you do spend a good amount of time using index and middle, it would be greatly to your benefit to work on getting the two to be as even as you possibly can. This is something that you should always strive for and not settle for anything less.

6. Yeah I agree; but with my recent aquisitions of an acoustic guitar and keyboard, plus with exams looming, I have less time just to sit down with my bass. But yeah it's definately on my 'to learn/perfect list' (with another billion things :D)

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'd like to see someon play What is Hip with one finger. :confused:

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i think jaco raked also.

9. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Raking can be done with any finger that plucks; I think what the original poster means is that he's using his index finger alone - without alternation - even when he's not moving down a string. For example, he would play 4 bars of the open A string by only using his right index finger to pluck.

It's also possible to use the same finger to pluck when moving down a string without using the raking technique.

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    sorry, i was under the impression that to rake was to not alternate.